Got a list of projects you would like to share...with winter nearing, these are mine for the months ahead..

For sewing....

a new Capote

2 trade shirts

2 sets of "slops"

leggings

pair of center seam mocs with beading

2 haversacks

2 possible bags

mittens

with walnuts falling, maybe a gallon or two of dye

with river cane easier to get to, it'll be a great source for some new "housewives" (sewing kits), quills and powder drams

After Thanksgivings, I'll rid the neighbors of their pumpkins (they'll get sliced up and dehydrated. Won't have to buy a thing....)

However, the big project is to build a Inkle loom and weave new straps for the Fusil, and powder horn....

LV,

I know you are not married, at least I dont think you are. Just how do you make a living? You have way to much time on your hands... About as much as I wish I did and do what you do

I will count it a success if we can get a klondike sled painted(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

Red Feather

Black walnut dye is easy to make. You won't need a mordant such as alum to set the dye. The dye is both lightfast, as well as colorfast.

My technique is simply to fill buckets with smashed, or smooshed walnuts, cover with water and let set for a week or so. The buckets will also need to be covered to reduce evaporation, water can be added as needed. When I'm ready to dye a garment, I'll toss out about 2/3rds of the walnuts with the remaining concoction being brought to a boil and allowed to simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes or until a dark brown. Afterwards the mixture is brought back up to a boil, with two or 3 garments added. This is allowed to boil for only a few minutes. The object is to heat up the fibers just enough, letting them release any remaining oil that didn't wash out in the laundry.

The garments should stew in the dye and off the heat for about 24 hours before washing and drying. For the first wash, I never use any detergent. Just plain, warm water. I also like to air dry if the weather permits....

Red Feather

Since walnut dye is easy to make, I'm trying something different (had a flash of insight).

Instead of buckets, I've started the process using a medium size plastic tote container from Wally World to brew the walnuts. But instead of waiting for a week, decided to boil a small batch up, and I've got a shirt soaking in the dye at the moment. The plan is to maintain the 24+ hour dying time, as well as return the dye back to the tote. My thinking, work the dye like you would sourdough. With each return the dye should in time become quite strong......

the walnut hulls have the most dye- you can even use them green. the more you pound or boil them, the more the colorant is released. you can boil steel in the stuff ( like a knife blade) and allow it to cool, and if you have put enough colorant on it, it will look like a well seasoned pot. and, the blade will not rust except where it has been sharpened. a stroke of wax will make a knife virtually waterproof.

yes, it will dye leather very well. you can actually paint on the color, and when air dried, it will stay with it.

good luck

• 2 weeks later...

My dye batch has been brewing over a week now, and compared to a new batch just mixed, there is a most notable differance in the quality. The aged batch has a nice rich vicosity with deep tones. Will be off to the fabric shop on the morrow, looking forward to dying some course linen for a long shirt...