An extra $50 might make it unaffordable but even I could squeeze out $5.

I fail to comprehend the logic behind asking volunteer instructors to pay $250 or more for the opportunity to teach. I served on the District Training Staff in my old district and all I had to pay for was $5 for my Training Staff neckerchief. I was fed and didn't have to pay to camp. If they had said, "GW, we'd like you to teach a class at Scoutmaster training and it will only cost you $200" I'd have said no thanks. Even at $50, I'd have said no thanks.

I personally don't mind paying my own way, but we don't charge the full course fee, only what is necessary to provide meals and such to the participants. the Participants pay the full fee that includes all materials and the licensing fees. Everyone pays for thier own pictures and other personal items and consumables. Our staff fees last year were $100 / staffer for the course and pre-course.

Our participants fees were $235 (if paid by the 30 day mark)

If you think staffers aren't benefiting from the staffing experience, then you would be incorrect. It was a huge learning and growing experience for me. As probably any staffer will tell you, there is so much material in the course, it is difficult to catch it all. Attending as a staffer, I was able to see every presentation twice - once during course development, where each lesson was practiced and presented and critiqued, and then again during the actual course. Our CD had staffed 12 previous courses, and he will tell you he learned valuable lessons each and every time.

So, yes, we pay a staff fee, which is around half the cost of the course fee. It mainly goes to cover food and course materials. It is a drop in the bucket compared to the time commitment. Paying a fee also keeps a staffer "invested" in the course, and much more likely that he will be there for the full course, and not drop. Was it some of the best money and time I have spent in Scouting? Absolutely! Given the opportunity to do it again next summer, I didn't have to think twice about it.

As with kb6jra, I will only be paying for groceries, not the full participant fee. Like BrentAllen, I see it as a HUGE learning opportunity to be on staff! Even though I'd had most of the training in some shape or form through corporate training courses, having it all there in one place presented in a group format of 6 or less, with open-ended access to the instructors and material - Wow! I made all kinds of connections (knowledge, not social, but there was that element too) but it was a blur. I have to admit that I would have a hard time justifying paying the full course fee on top of everything else to myself.

Right now, I'm just really looking forward to my first round as a staffer.

Vicki(This message has been edited by Vicki)

Why is everyone pole vaulting over the mouse turd?

I've seen the prices to get leadership psych training from any number of seminars. You can pay up to two thousand bucks. If there's a Council which is (as of fall 07) charging 300 for WB as a participant, I've not heard of it.

I also agree that students should not underwrite the life support of staff ... WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE COOKS. They work hard enough that their fees should be underwritten in full!

John

I used to be an Owl

C-40-05

Yeah there John, slow down a little. "Mouse turds" to you might be "Buffalo turds" to others. Personally, my discretionary income budget does not always include an extra $300 (plus other expenses) for scout training, no matter how "worth it" it might be - and I'm not doubting the value, I just have plenty of more urgent places to spend $300+ sometimes.

Vicki,

Congrats on the staff invitation! When is your course, and what position will you fill? Get ready for a lot of fun! As wonderful as Wood Badge is, staffing is even better!

As a participant, I sometimes felt like I was drinking from a fire hose. Going through Course Development, everything is slowed down, and you get to review and discuss each presentation as a team. I think you will start to see a lot more "course connections" that can be easily missed the first time through.

Enjoy every minute of it - on day 6, you will wonder how it could all go by so fast!

"Personally, my discretionary income budget does not always include an extra $300 (plus other expenses) for scout training, no matter how "worth it" it might be - and I'm not doubting the value, I just have plenty of more urgent places to spend $300+ sometimes."

Check to see if your council has a WB scholarship. Some do. In a couple of councils I work with, they hold a few WB gatherings and the proceeds from the sale of WB stuff &/or breakfast (if there is a WB breakfast) goes to fund a WB scholarship.

Some units are willing to cover all/part of the cost of WB for its leaders. (usually paid once your ticket is complete)

Some Charter Orgs may do the same. I believe the AFL-CIO may have WB scholarships. Other groups might do the same.

emb, I am a Wood Badger, but thank you for the suggestion. I was responding to John's comment regarding WB Staffers paying for the privilege of staffing. In our council, WB scholarships are not provided to staffers as far as I know.

There might not be scholarships, but what happens between you and the course director stays between you and the course director. If I had someone who I absolutely wanted to staff a course, I'd find a way of making it happen.

Officially....

Under Budget Goals:

The course staff members will be responsible for their own expenses. They

should not pass on their expenses to course participants. Ultimately, the

way in which staff expenses are handled is the local councils decision.

Under Course Revenue:

Note: Staff costs are not to be passed on to the participants. Staff members

must pay their own way. The staff fee should include all costs directly associated

with the staff (meals, daily charges for insurance, beads, certificates,

staff guide, etc.).

(This message has been edited by eolesen)

$250 in our Council for at least the last three years. Same materials as other have listed. Our challenge though is in the last two years there has been a dramtic increase in the use of Camperships to pay for the course. One wonders if the higher fee is supplementing the Council campership account.

For 2008, cost in our council is $200 for the weekend course, $235 for the weeklong course. Not bad for 6 days of training.

Vicki,

TG is the most rewarding position on staff! You get to really know and work with those participants in your patrol, whereas the rest of the staff gets to know them a little. I get to be a TG again this summer, in August as well. Gets a little hot down here that time of year, but it is manageable.

As a TG, you really end up being on two teams - the full staff, and the TG team. The TG's on our staff really became pretty close. I've seen several of them at different events since the course, and we pick up just like we left off, as if the course ended yesterday. It has been more fun than I thought it would be, from start to finish!

I hope you have a great experience!