Welcome Newbies, Lurkers, and Geezers

Hi,

I am fairly new to this forum.

I got involved in scouting starting at 12yrs old because my family hated camping and the outdoors, which I love. I was a life scout, patrol leader, etc. In my 20's I was an Asst. SM. In my 30's I was a Webelos Leader for two years and a District Executive, OA Advisor, JLT Advisor, and Camp Director for 3 years. Now in my 40's I am a Venturing Advisor for one crew and an asst. Advisor for another crew. I love Scouting and, this looks like a great group to swap stories and suggestions with.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I'm pretty new to this forum.I waded into one emotionally charged disscusion without awareness of what I was doing.

I was strongly involved in cubscouts as youth and had a year or 2 of boyscouting before troop disintegrated.

My involvement has been as an adult.3 yrs. as WEBELOS den Leader (last den had 6 of 9 members being ADD)Was den leader coach for 3 years and facilitator for pack

programs.Last 2 years in pack I was also ASM in Oldest sons Troop, roundtable

trainer for WEBELOS and on District training committee for WEBELOS outdoor training.

Continued with ASM, Roundtable and training team for 4 years after Pack but swithced to Scoutmasters Fundamentals. Beacame Ordeal member in 1998 ,was called into DE's office late 1999(8 months after Brotherhood conversion)and asked to be

chapter advisor for a very large chapter(200 members)he never gave me a good answer to my question of "why me" I spent my first year trying to sort out a total mess.At least half the records for unit elections were lost.I get job As Scoutmaster for Camporee of 650 participants with a months warning but no warning that the chapter advisor who was supposed to stay on till August was going to leave it to me in May in the middle of Camporee, had to do elections and make sure they got called out that Saturday 70 new candidates.

Got things on an even keal got some youth leaders on board We became the most organised chapter in Lodge as far as elections and put together merit badge clinics for District prided our selves on never turning down a Packs request for Crossover teams.

In 2001 they merged our District with neighboring one,now camporees are 850 to 1000.We elected 121 new candidates this year.Chapter runs this and I'm still Scoutmaster(District won't let me change name of position to Advisor) but I'm successfull enough that I can be invisible and things run smoothly.

I've used a Venture crew as our Security/hospitality/parking for the last 3 years.

We have ceremonies teams for all of the OA ceremonies at all 6 of our lodges Ordeals

I work registration for 3 of our Lodges Odeals.Instructor for Lodge Leadership

developement Conference and on Section Conclave Training comittee.My specialty is useing top down programing techniques to plan events.This involves breaking things down into managable bits to make it easier to recruit people to do specific tasks that they won't be overwhelmed by.

Have an overachieving son who has ramrodded several inovated programs in the Lodge.Also has pushed the council until he could produce a Venture high adventure

race that lasts 6 days Wtih challenging bike parts 1500 foot gain on 20 mile trip

for one of the days.Backpacking ,White water rafting ,and canoe racing and more.

20 4 member teams.

Younger son is very active just elected President in Crew and Administrative Vice on council cabinet),Oldest is going to be away as Junior in college to become an elemetary school teacher is still commitee chair for Lodge's chapter assistance program (which he was prime mover in developeing).both sons still active in troop where they can help.Each one is Camp staff at WEBELOS resident Camp one is at our Horse ranch camp and other is at the Ocean side Camp.(We are a very blessed Council)

I'm vigil and have DAM

Hi,

I'm pretty new to this forum.I waded into one emotionally charged disscusion without awareness of what I was doing.

I was strongly involved in cubscouts as youth and had a year or 2 of boyscouting before troop disintegrated.

My involvement has been as an adult.3 yrs. as WEBELOS den Leader (last den had 6 of 9 members being ADD)Was den leader coach for 3 years and facilitator for pack

programs.Last 2 years in pack I was also ASM in Oldest sons Troop, roundtable

trainer for WEBELOS and on District training committee for WEBELOS outdoor training.

Continued with ASM, Roundtable and training team for 4 years after Pack but swithced to Scoutmasters Fundamentals. Beacame Ordeal member in 1998 ,was called into DE's office late 1999(8 months after Brotherhood conversion)and asked to be

chapter advisor for a very large chapter(200 members)he never gave me a good answer to my question of "why me" I spent my first year trying to sort out a total mess.At least half the records for unit elections were lost.I get job As Scoutmaster for Camporee of 650 participants with a months warning but no warning that the chapter advisor who was supposed to stay on till August was going to leave it to me in May in the middle of Camporee, had to do elections and make sure they got called out that Saturday 70 new candidates.

Got things on an even keal got some youth leaders on board We became the most organised chapter in Lodge as far as elections and put together merit badge clinics for District prided our selves on never turning down a Packs request for Crossover teams.

In 2001 they merged our District with neighboring one,now camporees are 850 to 1000.We elected 121 new candidates this year.Chapter runs this and I'm still Scoutmaster(District won't let me change name of position to Advisor) but I'm successfull enough that I can be invisible and things run smoothly.

I've used a Venture crew as our Security/hospitality/parking for the last 3 years.

We have ceremonies teams for all of the OA ceremonies at all 6 of our lodges Ordeals

I work registration for 3 of our Lodges Odeals.Instructor for Lodge Leadership

developement Conference and on Section Conclave Training comittee.My specialty is useing top down programing techniques to plan events.This involves breaking things down into managable bits to make it easier to recruit people to do specific tasks that they won't be overwhelmed by.

Have an overachieving son who has ramrodded several inovated programs in the Lodge.Also has pushed the council until he could produce a Venture high adventure

race that lasts 6 days Wtih challenging bike parts 1500 foot gain on 20 mile trip

for one of the days.Backpacking ,White water rafting ,and canoe racing and more.

20 4 member teams.

Younger son is very active just elected President in Crew and Administrative Vice on council cabinet),Oldest is going to be away as Junior in college to become an elemetary school teacher is still commitee chair for Lodge's chapter assistance program (which he was prime mover in developeing).both sons still active in troop where they can help.Each one is Camp staff at WEBELOS resident Camp one is at our Horse ranch camp and other is at the Ocean side Camp.(We are a very blessed Council)

I'm vigil and have DAM

• 3 weeks later...

I have often been referred to as "GEEZER!" I joined Troop 20 on Anderson AFB, Guam as ASM in 1968. (Before Woodstock or Moon Landing!) The near-by village of Yigo needed a SM for thier new Troop 10 in time for the Camporee the following year, I transfered. I was Honorably discharged from the USAF (and my favorite Scout Troop in 1970.) Since I returned to my hometown in upstate NY I have been involved in one capacity or another with the local troops - usually Scoutmaster. This year I am finally moving up and graduating to a Venture Crew! My only complaint - the guy that talked me into the Scouting Program in 1968 never came back to relieve me! I'm STILL WAITING! Anybody from Guam left out there?

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings from an younger geezer. After reading some of the posts my 15 yrs in scouting are nuthin!!Anyways I started in 1988 as a assistant Wolf leader (with my first born of course)in Hastings on Hudson NY Pack 1 of the now defunct Tappan Zee district of the Westchester Putnam Council Did the Assistant thing all the way thru Webelo"s2 By then we were part of the Daniel Webster Council,Wannala

(I GOT CUT OFF)

Wannalancit district.Followed him up to the troop and life was great CM was a snap.well #2 Joined Tigers and a few months later decided it was "boring".so dad stuck w/ the boys and when they became Webe 1's He re Joined and off we went During theose "off"years Dad was CC,CM ,and secretary and a AWL.Son went to the troop and dad was invited to the Commissioners Table. Four Y

Welcome Niehbors, gerrys8130

Don't fret, the years will FLY! Because my passions include PHOTOGRAPHY and LIVING HISTORY,

some of my Scouts really think I was in the Civil War! Welcome to the forum. There is lots of great information here. I live in Hudson, but live on the border of two councils, and serve in both. The kids are great, some of the adults will dive you crazy! Just remember to keep it fun. BP's take on teens, "FUN, FIGHTING and FEEDING." Enjoy, keep in touch. OLD, OLD, BOOTS.

Hi!

I'm Advancement Chair for my son's troop as well as Scoutmaster for a group of boy's in a children's home for abused youth. I am also Roundtable Chair for my District.

My youngest son has been in Scouting since he was a Tiger in 1996 and I joined as Webelo Leader in 1999.

I found this site while looking for information on proper and improper patrol emblems.

I'm looking forward to gleaning a lot of information from the more experienced Scouters!