"A lot of the new training's seem to be very similar to Wood Badge (OJ attended a OA Officer Training which was very like WB, even having the participants write goals which they were to meet before they received their patch) If we are not careful, the course might become very much a been there, done that sort of thing. "

You're speaking about the OA's National Leadership Seminar. Actually, what happened was that some elements of NLS was incorporated into the new WB. Other elements are the same because they are providing the same leadership concepts (Situational Leadership and Team Development Model/Team Leadership Model). Keep in mind that NLS is MAINLY for youth lodge officers, who would probably not take WB for several years, IF they become adult leaders.

As to the goals. In NLS you make 3 goals, to be done within 6 months (i believe). The setting and achieve goals is not something unique to WB. I personally feel its one thing that makes ANY course better.

"I have not seen or had much to do with the new course that replaced JLTC -Heck I can't even get the name of it right NYL?

There was talk in our Council of inviting Venturers to attend. Even though I didn't know the course I wasn't keen on mixing the two groups."

National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT). Go get a copy of the syllabus. Again, NYLT does cover the same leadership concepts (SL, TDM/TLM), and using new terms for the different stages that have now been moved into WB.

I've heard people say the same thing in my area. I disagree. Why? Because NYLT is all about training BOY to be Troop-level leaders. A Venturers (are you going to allow the girls to also attend) would be lost with all the troop terms that are meaningless to a Venturer.

"Quarterdeck Training is real big in Sea Scouting. Sadly the Sea Scout Manual does make mention of it being needed but that's about it. The National Web Site directs me to the Sea Scout Skippers /Leader Handbook which has been out of print since BP was a Boy (Well almost!)"

Actually, its only been out of print since the 70s. There is a softcopy of what is supposed to be the next edition. I know here there is going to a CD with the Skipper Handbook, and maybe the long rumoured Crew Leader Manual (which hasn't been inprint since the 50s...).

I would think they would have info on Quarterdeck training at the Sea scout site. I think I've also see it at the National Quartermaster Association site.

Sea Scouts can attend VLSC, Kodiak, and Kodiak-X. Also, work to get your Sea Scouts to attend SEAL. That's Sea Scout Advanced Leader Training.

"I'll admit the temptation to "Borrow" a few bits from WB did occur to me but the Angel on my right should beat the devil on my left. I have managed to put together a fairly decent course borrowing stuff from other Sea Scouter's, the old course, venturing courses, and some stuff from White Stag. "

Go for it. Nothing stopping you. In my home council we put together elements of different courses to create an 'advanced JLTC'. Sadly we only did that once. :( But they've also been successful with a great University of Scouting program that includes a College of Scouting Arts degree program, College of Commissioner Science degree program, and a new Advanced Outdoor Training program.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished my second weekend of WB just recently. (SR-793) The first weekend was main indoors dealing with leadership and the second weekend was outdoors. The experience and training as well as the fellowship, was... well... best described as a life changing experience. Not only will I better serve our Pack, but I'm a better person all together.

I paid $175 and it was worth every penny.

Anyone contemplating WB should most definately take the course, if they want to become a more productive leader.