One week from today I am off to Wood Badge NE-III-175

I just received my 20 questions to fill out and with the remnants of Ernesto coming through I wont be doing much outside this weekend and will have plenty of time to think these through.

Also included was a newsletter that had pictures and brief bio of the staff.

They look like a great bunch and have many years of scouting experience.

I have really been looking forward to this.

I couldnt make it 3 years ago when our council held it last and was very disappointed when it was canceled last summer due to only 10 people signing up.

I took some posters advice and I am taking this in another council.

This course has been full for months.

Im sure this course will be everything I have been told it is.

I head to CR-39-06 in two weeks.

I'm kind of excited, but with all the posts earlier this month about tickets has got me concerned that some of my ticket ideas may not get approved. I have one idea for a ticket item that I hope gets approved, but time is the concern on this one.

Remember you have 18 months to complete your ticket items, Eamonn let me know if I am wrong, so thats your time frame. If you want to do a particular item, ask your counselor how to do the item in the framework of the ticket, you may have to add some "fringe" but you should be able to accomplish what you want, maybe with extra added value, but it will be what you want done

I leave Tuesday morning, 09/05 for "staff week" for our course (SR-756) beginning Friday, 09/08. We pushed hard and filled the course back in May. This will be my first staff experience (Troop Guide) on WB and I'm both excited and anxious.

I used to be a Beaver, an SR-540 Beaver!

OGE, You are as ever right.

purcelce

It's great that you are thinking ahead.

Keep the idea that you have on a back burner.

Go over the 20 question sheet and be really honest!! No one is going to see your answers.

As the course unfolds how Tickets fit in becomes very clear.

You might find that the item you have in mind now is just the Ticket (Sorry!!)

Or you might find that it doesn't fit in with your vision and mission.

In the past the problems I've seen with Tickets have been where people go with a shopping list of Ticket ideas, but they don't really have a vision or a mission.

This can be a little like putting the cart before the horse.

The Ticket is not and should not be that hard!!

All you are doing is making a list of at least six goals that you will accomplish in the next 18 months, that pertain to your role in Scouting. These goals should help you move toward your mission which should help move toward your overall Vision. One goal should deal with diversity, but should still remain in the framework of your vision and mission.

While the Troop Guide is there to help you think about and maybe put down on paper what your goals are and will approve the goals, they remain yours.

If you think of your Ticket as you writing a script for a movie or a play. What you have right now might be a Spaceman Suit, but when you start to write your Ticket (Script) It turns out to be a Western, maybe the spaceman suit just doesn't fit in?

Eamonn.

Eamonn - the advice about finding a vision and mission first and then selecting tickets is the best advice I have seen about "tickets".

I've been trying to keep an open mind but I keep hearing about "tickets", working my tickets, and how hard it was to come up the "tickets" and can't help but think about them and starting a list.

For now I can put them aside and starting thinking about a vision and mission first for my role as a Skipper.

SR540Beaver,

I'm leaving tomorrow to begin my first (of hopefully many) stint(s) as a Troop Guide at SR-741. I'm nervous...and hope that I can do a good job. I will be with the Eagle patrol so I've made a big Eagles nest out of wild grape vines and bought some nice small stuffed Eagles which I'll put in the nest. Wish me luck!!!!!

Sue M.

It's exactly one week til I start WB CR-39-06.

I think I don't have to worry about the ticket items anymore. A new crew is possibly forming so I'll concentrate my ticket on this. More details to follow.

BTW do attendees have any say so in patrols. I've been told by some of my good friend staffers that me and my best bud will not be allowed in the same patrol.

purcelce, I was told that it is standard practice to split up "best buds" and folks from the same unit. The reasoning? Avoid cliques w/in a patrol and encourage better networking. If you and your best bud are in different patrols then between you, you'll get to know twice as many people. And if you're lucky then one of you will be a Bobwhite!

Lisa'bob

SueM,

A belated GOOD LUCK to you!!! I hope your weekend of staffing went as well as mine. We had a blast as staffers and I feel like the participants did too. We had 56 fully paid participants by the end of May. We over sold the course because of experience with cancellations at the 11th hour. It was a good thing we did, we ended up with 46 participants when the course started. We pull out the stops for our WB courses here. We do staff week with as many staffers as possible showing up either Monday night or Tuesday morning the week of the course. We mow, sweep, mop, trim trees, set up tents, etc. so the participants have a near perfect and squared away camp facility and WB experience. It is also a time for the staff to further bond before we kick off the course. I was nervous until I got the first presentation under my belt and then felt like I could finally take a breath and whip the world with one hand tied behind my back! :) I don't believe I've been busier or more taxed though since......I went to WB as a participant. But it has been a blast and I'm looking forward to weekend 2 on 09/29-10/01. I've got the Owl patrol and they seem to be coming along nicely. In fact, they have made my job easy as they are usually two steps ahead in planning on their own for things like their outside patrol meeting, project/presentation, campfire skit, etc.

I used to be a Beaver.....the FIRST among WB critters.

Now I can lay something of a claim to being an Owl....the wisest of WB critters.

Then there is being a Staffer.....the craziest of WB critters.

To quote my buddy Barry (EagleDad), I love this Scouting stuff!!!

SR540Beaver,

I am exhausted, but I had a blast being on staff..as if that would come as a surprise! I got the Eagle patrol and though it took them a day or so to "get it"..by yesterday morning, most of them had solid ideas for where to go with their tickets. Many of the participants actually thanked us..saying that they could really see..and were amazed at how much work staff had put into making this a great experience for them. Everything went off well..no major problems except that we had some participants with -very- competitive and dominant personalities, who the all TG's had to have a small discussion with because their behavior was starting to escalate to becoming an issue. It worked out very well though as our discussion came right before we presented the Communication segment so we were able to work the situation into the that presentation!

I'm really looking forward to weekend 2!

sue

Just finished the first weekend.

Being a Sea Scout I was put in the patrol of the only Critter that likes water.

Beavers Rule!

There are some other Venturing Leaders in the course all from the same Crew. We haved discussed doing a activity together.

Great staff. Great food.

I learned a great deal and had a great time.

Being with a new unit I easily came up with ticket ideas.

I am still working on what my vision is and then trying see which of my ideas fit into that vision.

I could put together 5 easy tickets that would fufill the requirements but I want my tickets to really mean something and fit into my vision.

CYNScouter,

By now, you are surely aware that the noble and always eager Beaver is always the first and brightest of the critters..We're the critter everyone else always -wishes- they could be..IOW's, as a friend of mine puts it..they suffer from "Beaver envy"!! ;)

Sue M.