ON LINE RECHARTERING ?

I have seen in these forums, that there is a lot of Scouters using all sorts of software.

While at a District Commissioners conference, at Philmont in 2000. I was informed that the BSA,was exploring the use of these programs, and soon we would be able to do all of our rechartering on line.

Well, I have asked about this in our council and they say that it can't be done, due to Scoutnet, not being up to it.

I have to admit to being some what upset, as it was only approx. Four years ago that we spent $100,000. On upgrading the entire council computer system.

Is there anyone, who is doing their entire rechartering on line ?

Through cooperstion with ScoutNet and features being developed by TroopMaster and other programs units can do recharters on their computer. However it requires them to turn in a diskette coppy for uploading and a hard copy for recordkeeping. The hurdle in online chartering is that the Charter requires signatures and that still requires a hard copy original for legal reasons.

Bob White

Yes, the problem of signatures was brought up at the conference, but we were informed that this could be overcome with the use of digital signatures.

As to the legal reasons, while I'm not well versed, I am aware that more and more legal "Stuff!" Is now being done on line.

Come to think of it what becomes of the hard copy, once the information is transmitted to the national office ?

Some of the Charters that I have seen turned in, were in really poor shape.

Not wishing to seem too harsh, but the idea of BSA going to online chartering is very scary. I have seen too many snafus with simple paper based systems in BSA to have any confidence in the ability of BSA at any level to do this. I am not a systems expert, but if the baby can't crawl, it can't be expected to walk.

Our Council has had rechartering from Troopmaster for two years. They spent an additional two years working the bugs out before they offered it. One thing they have told us is that the information in your computer needs to be the same as ScoutNet. They will print you a list from ScoutNet to compare and change your computer, or if you have a new copy of Troopmaster, they will download to a floppy so you can upload the Names, addresses, etc. to your computer. This works well. In my work with Troopmaster, it will not let you complete your recharter process, unless everything that ScoutNet needs is complete. As far as signatures are concerned, the BSA tells the Councils the hardcopy needs to be signed, and the unit should turn in a floppy disk with the recharter on it for them to upload into their computer and transmit to National.

Dancin

When you file your taxes online there is still one page that must be mailed in -- the signature page.

Our council hasn't gone to online rechartering but we also use Troopmaster so I submitted our charter on disk. All we had to submit as far as hard copy was the signature page. Seems like it would be the same if it was done online.