New Troop Committee starts tonight

We have all new membership on our Troop Committee and having our first meeting tonight. None of the folks on the Committee have been to training yet. The dates for district and council training are coming up soon and I will give out the schedules tonight. Hope I can convince all these new folks to go.

We are having our Troop's annual planning campout in a couple of weeks and I was hoping for an easier year now that the scouts are beginning to get the hang of the whole boy-led thing! Didn't plan on having to start with a bunch of new adults and an untrained committee.

Hooh boy. It never ends does it? Just when I think I see some light at the end of the tunnel, here comes that pesky train again.

Ah, serenity now....serenity now.

I hear ya sista...I've gotten to expect that around every turn is yet another obstacle that we need to deal with! I hope that your new committee gets off to a new start! Get them trained ASAP before they get too entrenched in preconceptions of their jobs!

sue m.

Sounds like you have an excellent opertunity to get a brand new committee started off on the right foot.

Training is by far the BEST way to accomplish this. I agree with SueM - keep it light and don't overwhelm them.

You might also consider having an experienced Scouter serve as the Troop Training Coordinator. This individual would be able to ensure that your whole committee has been scheduled for, and completed their trainings.

A well-trained troop committee is an invaluable asset to your unit and will make your job that much easier and bring you closer to the light at the end of your tunnel.

Eagle Pete

Do Fast Start with them as part of your agenda tonight.

If you can, bring in your UC, COR, SM, SPL and youth QM to explain their roles in the unit.

Have fun honing them into a troe tool of service to the program

I don't think that is a train coming, it is opportunity with a flash light coming to help. Now is the time to teach why you do scouting the way you do. The SM carries the torch of philosophy for the troop. Most folks do not want that responsibility, so they take a part on the committee. But most people get excited to be part of a program when the philosophy make sense.

I like to teach that a successful SM spends at least 50% of his/her time talking with the adults because troops run so much better when everyone feels a part of the SMs program. Yep, most SMs would love to see that light coming.

Your scouts are going to have a great year.

Barry

Why don't you contact you boy scout training chair. and Ask him to come to you committee meeting on the night you have committee meetings. that way ever one is there and you don't have to try to get people to the round table. we do this in our district. and it works very well. So Tell you training chair to take on the road. That way you can have the Troop Committe Chall.

YIS

Thanks for the encouragement folks. Meeting went very well. New CC had prepared an agenda and first on the list was a report by the SM (me). I did use this as an opportunity to discuss upcoming trainings for them. But, more importantly, I outlined what the troop had done over the past year and the goals for the upcoming year. A couple of these folks have had boys in the troop for a few years but never really understood what was going on. Just that the troop had a new SM and she seemed a lot tougher than the SMs before her!

They asked me quite a few questions after the business part of our meeting. I think they "get" it and seemed very enthusiastic about becoming a part of the rebuilding and strengthening of our troop.

Our new treasurer gave a wonderful report and even discussed the upcoming popcorn sales and how we need to work harder on fundraising. They have all made a commitment to going to training. Our Council offers fast start on line and all are doing it this week. Youth protection is also offered on-line as well as at October Roundtable. Committee folks, even though they will not be directly involved with the youth, agreed to take the online version so they can better understand what the training is and why we (the SM and ASMs) do what we do. I was also just contacted by our new ASM asking how he can sign up for Outdoor Leader Skills in September. Hooray for people that are willing to go to training. Of course, mentioned a few times that our scouts deserve well-trained leaders might have helped!. If you don't ask they don't have an opportunity to say yes, do they?

I forgot to mention that two of our former committee members (treasurer and chair) have agreed to stay on to help out with specific tasks when needed. It is going to be a huge help to have a committee of folks dedicated to our troop. Seems like we may just be on the right track. We still have a very small Committee: only Chair, Advancement, and Treasurer (our new COR was not present at the meeting). But, we are a small troop and will hope to add on more people as our troop grows.

Yep, Scouts are going to have a great year!

Troop Committee Challenge is part of the Troop Committee training curriculum. It's an excellent training resource for your committee members. I encourage SMs to also participate. It helps everyone (even parents who aren't committee members) understand their place. I just looked on Scoutstuff and it doesn't look like they carry it any more??? Anyone know anything about that? I guess I'll keep a close handle on my copy.

Districts around here occasionally offer it. But I believe it is MUCH MORE effective to organize it for your own troop committee. You get into some really good dialogue around who should be doing what. You can apply what you learn to real-life situations in the troop.

Glad to see the commitment to training.

I'm sorry your COR did not make this first meeting. This would have been a good one for him to attend.

A COR need not go to all the committee meetings, especially if the Chartered Partner has more than one unit. He'll be sampling from program, committee, and outings. He or she keeps an eye on all the units, and unlike a Commissioner, can PRESCRIBE actions needing done.

As far as Troop Committee Challenge, I remember it taking the major chunk of time of position specific training for the Troop Committee. GWD, if you can, get an external person to present it ... then you as the SM can actually give your appropriate inputs to the process.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

• 4 weeks later...

Oh well, so much for the excitement over my new troop committe folks.

My new CC and Treasurer went to training last weekend. I heard from the District Training Chair that they spent a good deal of time during the training stating that they only joined out committee to help their son make Eagle.

Their son will turn 18 in about 8 months. Still has to complete his POR and a few merit badges and his project.

He's been absent from the troop for almost 3 years since turing life.

I talked to his mother (our new Treasurer) and she made no apologies for only joining to help her son get through.

He won't make it. I told her that. He isn't one ounce of commited to the Troop. He shows up about once or twice a year all full of fire about serving in a POR. Then, gone again.

Looks like I have a troop with no committee, no help or interest at all from our Chartered Organization.

Well, at least the scouts had a great planning weekend and we are looking forward to the next 12 months of adventures.