New Troop Committee starts tonight

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, they are husband and wife. I think they feel a bit chagrined now after making such a big fuss about joining the committee only to help their son get Eagle. Had a talk with the son and the Mom and stated very clearly that the parent's participation on the committee will have no influence on whether he makes Eagle. It is up to him to EARN the rank. He's shown up for the past couple of meetings and has actually participated. His POR is Jr. ASM and he has scheduled to work on the trailer and equipment with the QM and my husband (ASM) in the next week.

So, he's showing some initiative. We'll just see.

Let me see if I understand the situation -

You have a Troop Committee which includes a mom and dad on the committee whose sole interest is in their son's Eagle. There is about 8 months left before the boy turns 18.

Do you have the sense whether mom and dad intend to fulfill their committee responsibilities over the next 8 months? If so, I would keep them on the committee. When their son does get his Eagle, I would have a serious talk with the parents to find out where they stand on their committee assignments. But if you sense they are just paying lip service for the next few months until their son gets his Eagle, I would keep them on committee for the boy's sake, and start looking for a new CC and Treasurer now.

In any case it looks like you may need to replace your CC and Treasurer. Keep an eye out for potential Committee replacements. One thing to keep in mind is the boy. IMO, if there is a chance he can earn his Eagle, I would do whatever is necessary to make that possible. Obviously, his parents know what they are doing and are coming into this committee fully aware of their own selfish interests. Incidentally, I would have a hard time faulting them too much, as they are looking out for their son's interest, which is what I would probably do in their place. Empathy is appropriate here, however, I would also keep in mind the interests of the boy and how he perceives the whole situation. Don't think for a minute that he isn't aware of his parents' attitude, which is affecting his outlook on Scouting and how he values his Eagle. It never ceases to baffle me how parents don't seem to connect the dots between their poor attitude with Scouting, and their son's lack of interest in Scouting. It may be appropriate at some time down the road to point this out to the parents.

As far as your Committee is concerned, I'd be on the lookout for a new CC to replace your current one, as this is a key position in your troop's success.

Eagle Pete

Yah, I've seen good SM's try to run the show without a real committee. It works for a bit, but the burnout is brutal, eh?

Get thee a real committee. It is more important than next month's program for the kids. So, if you need to, cancel everything so that you and your senior kids and adults can spend a month puttin' together a real committee.

Select a CC and treasurer who you know, and who will be there for at least 2-3 years. Set up a real accounting oversight system. No same-family relatives as CC and Treasurer for cryin' out loud! Pull in other parents and other outsiders who you know will contribute productively. Make sure the CC has prior experience running meetings/serving on a board of directors. Trainin' is nice and all, but a day of trainin' doesn't hold a candle to a few years of real experience. Get a real COR appointed and put him/her on the committee. Tell your DE and DC that you need a real-life unit commissioner who will show up at every committee meeting for a year or you're going to deliver all your unit's popcorn to their front lawn.

In short, don't be drivin' a wagon full of kids up Adventure Pass when you know the wheels aren't attached.

Beavah - I've felt many times over the past two years like the wheels were coming off the bus. Then, something or someone would come along and tighten one of the lug nuts and we'd roll along for a while longer.

I don't know when or if we will ever get a real committee. Troop never really had one. It always has consisted of parents that were involved while their son(s) were involved.

Our Chartered Organization has never provided any support for the Troop. They really show no interest at all. Our Chartered Organization Representative was selected by our former Committee Chair, but has no idea what he is supposed to do. We do not have a Unit Commissioner and our District Executive is busy helping other units that are in more trouble.

Our former Committee Chair served for one year and stepped down last Spring. His main reason was that he is too busy. But, I think it just goes back to his feelings about Scouting in general. He has two boys in the Troop, but just isn't interested in paritcipating. Unfortunately, his feelings seemed to have influenced his sons as well.

Besides, I can't count the many times he said to me, "maybe it's time to just let this troop fold up."

But, here I am finishing my 2nd year as SM with a small group of boys that are beginning to get the boy-led concept, and are actually doing it to some degree. The few older scouts we have left are starting to attend more regularly and take charge of the program. We have a new, freshly trained ASM who seems gung-ho and ready.

Just can't quit yet. Getting a real functioning committee started from scratch will take some work. Not exactly what I had anticipated having to do, but I guess it's just one more fire to put out!

Eagle-Pete. Yes, they've made it very clear that they will only serve on the committee until their son makes Eagle or ages out 8 months from now.

(This message has been edited by gwd-scouter)