I thought Would put this out there. our council thinking of this program.

To be a Certifed trainerin the Council the following criteris must be met.

1 Must be a member of a District training team and approved by the district training chairman.

2 Must atted a Trainer Development Connference ever three years.

3 Must participate in at least four training programs during any geven calendar year. wB NYLT U scouting and so on.

This is more of a recognition awarded annually.

Waht do you all think.

Your in Scouting

always an Owl

Beyond the recognition, I am not sure what this would be good for. "Certified" generally denotes qualified.. but qualified to do what? Is this any different than "Trained"? Would a certified trainer be able to participate in programs specifically for a certified trainer? Is the destinction "Certified Trainer" a higher level of trainer than, say, a Roundtable staff member? The criteria you have listed here are not any higher than a Roundtable staff member should be, IMHO.

Eagle Pete

I don't understand requirement #2. Being an experienced trainer, both at work and at the college level, I found TDC to be a tremendous waste of time. To make one repeat it every three years is cruel and unusual punishment. I learned how to use a flannel board (which I NEVER put into practice), but nothing about how to present the various CS and BS training modules. I had to figure that out on my own.

In our district, to be on the "training team" all you need is the approval of the training committee chair. The only requirement for TDC is for a Pack Trainer to be considered "Trained" in their position.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Interesting!

Being a certified trainer? I would prefer subject matter experts over a generic "Certified Trainer". There may be folks that are interested in being involved in one or two training courses but have no interest in being a "Certified Trainer". Would this exclude them from being able to participate on Staff?

No you don't have to be a certifed trainer to do training they way i understand it. I is a recognition to show that you have been doing training for some time and gone out to get training your self like TDC and Philmount. to impove one self. So no You wouldn't have to have it to be a staff trainer. It would be like wearing the Training Strip. Which brings up another question should there be time limts on trainers? To get new people and new ideas in to the flow of things.

TDC every three years?!?!?! It doesn't change. Why take the same course over & over?

No to time limits on trainers, either. Sure, you'd get in new blood, but you'd lose some good blood, too. Natural attrition takes care of the ones who don't care to be there. Coupled with a DTC who doesn't invite the poor quality trainers back, you should be getting only the best.