Put your money where your mouth is

That is what I am doing. Last year I attended our University of Scouting and was really disappointed with some of the classes I took. I thought to myself then that "Hey, I can do that" or "I could have done more with that subject". Well, as I was filling out my registration form for this year I was emailed and asked to teach a class. I didn't think too much about it at the time and continued to complete my registration. Well, as the saying goes, it's time to put up or shut up! I am tossing the registration in the trash and volunteering to do a class instead. What better way to practice my leadership skills. I will probably learn more by teaching.

Any one else ever do that?

Kristi

I was planning on taking SM training at our all level training day. Then I was asked to present "Outdoor Fun" for Cubs instead. I then was all ready to take SM Outdoor when I was approached to work BALOO instead.

I just received a form in the mail from my friends at council to sign up for our "Trainer Development" training. I am beginning to think there is plan in action here!

I took the Webelos Outdoor Leader Training 2 months ago. When filling out the course evaluation form, there was a box to check if you had an interest in teaching next time. I checked the box. I went out of concil to take the course and was impressed with how much material they were able to cover in the limited amount of time. I felt that I knew at least as much about the topics as some of the presenters, and more in other areas.

I will wait and see if I get the call next year. If not, then I will follow up to pass along my skill set.

Did the exact same thing when I was in Cubs. Ended up teaching Pack Ceremonies at the University of Cub Scouting (precursor to University of Scouting in my area) & was asked back the next year. Loved every minute of it!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Me too, similar story. Only problem I have - and this seems to be pervasive in scouting - is that one is seldom allowed to "just" volunteer to do one thing at a time, like teach a class at UoS or help with district training or serve as a UC for just a couple of units. As soon as "they" figure out that they have a "live one" the push to serve as the chair for a zillion different things begins. Personally I don't have time (or inclination in some cases) to be in charge and attend all the meetings that go with that, which are inevitably at the far end of our geographically large district too. But I'm happy to just lend a hand. I think we do a dis-service to a lot of volunteers by pushing in this way and we scare other potential volunteers off.

Lisa'bob

Lisa,

All I can say is: Do the things as a Scouter you are good at, and that give you a personal sense of service. Knowing when to say "sorry" is a vital skill to a Scouter working with other adults.

The old adage from church is: 15% of the folk do 85% of the work. Truer than we want it to be.

John

A Good Old Owl Too

John, thanks. Sorry if I went off on a bit of a rant there. It just gets to be too much occasionally. Example: I had offered to teach a UoS class and instead they asked me to run the entire event for the next two or three years. Not what I had time, inclination, or probably, skill, to do. Not to mention it was being held at a site that's a 2 hour drive from where I live and in order to attend the bi-weekly planning meetings at the site I'd have had to drag my son along (scheduling issues) every time and we wouldn't have gotten home til at least 11pm on a week night. No can do. After repeatedly saying no and explaining why I couldn't make that sort of commitment but that I'd still be willing to help by teaching a class, I gave up on the whole thing, with a bad taste in my mouth. Persistence is one thing and I'm flattered that they asked me (though I suspect, looking at how recruiting is done, that they would've taken on just about any warm body), but there's a point where it becomes nagging and that's just counter-productive. They never did ask me to teach a class either - something which I could have done well and would've been happy to do. And I know they were scrambling for instructors so I don't understand this.

I know I shouldn't be, but I'm still cheesed off about this. Maybe because this is my experience pretty much every time I've offered to do anything with the district. Makes me not want to be active with the district, to be honest, because the guilt tripping and nagging gets so irritating that it tends to turn me off to the whole thing.

Argh. guess that was still a rant. Sorry, I'm done with it.

Lisa'bob

Lisa,

It's ok to vent, and it's ok to vent among friends. We wouldn't be very good friends if we only wanted to see the good side of you.

Only one woman on this planet should have permission to decide your agenda: Her name is Lisa'Bob :) You, and only you, have your strength, skills, and passion for this Grand Game. You have an idea of where you want your piece of the jigsaw puzzle to fit. Claim it! :-D

It's all for the youth. If we aren't here for them, then we may as well be in some other service organization, or perhaps in a power lunch networking group. But ... we are, and we choose to be, Scouters.

Your Troop 1 neckerchief isn't a green light for every other volunteer in your Council to say "come help me burn both ends of the candle." Do what you see that matters to Scouting, your unit, and your family. You're part of the 15%. In spite of everyone hitting you up, you don't have to be the 15% all by yourself.

John

who has to assess each "only another hour a week" rather carefully anymore..

... and a Good Old Owl Too...(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)