Online YPT: got my card immediately

I just completed redoing the online YPT in preparation for the Jamboree (my last card was two years old and I re-did it because I wasn't sure how old it could be and still be considered valid for purposes of the Jamboree).

Anyway, after I entered my information, I got an email-copy of my YPT card within minutes. I know others have complained that they never got their card, but I think the difference in my case is that I entered a valid member ID number.

I know you can take the training even as a non-member of BSA (meaning you would not enter a member number), but I think entering a number which can be confirmed against BSA records ensures you will get your card back quickly.

Has anyone else done the online training and gotten their card?

I did the training when it was first available, about 2 years ago. The completion certificate and our local council reporting procedures with phone numbers printed out immediately, a PDF as I recall. I didn't have an ID number.

You have found the magic number. I also got my card immediatly. I asked at our Day camp why I did when others didn't and was shown the council print out. If you don't have your membership number when you take it online a printout is sent to your council where who ever is in charge of the charters and such has to match up your name and info with what is in the system to find your number. Then she can print you a card or in the case of our daycamp the print out was sent over and the "Queen of all things paper" had to match names with the list when verifying the course was taken.

Simple answer, if you don't have your number call your council to get it before taking YPT online. It makes it easier all around.

Kristi

I recertified in April. Entered memberID number and Council ID number.

I received card via e-mail in minutes.

Also received an e-mail from my SE stating that Council's records will be updated.

This type of on-line training is great! But I think for YPT, it should be done in a group initially & then be able to be renewed on-line. The advantage of a group session is the exchange of ideas between leaders. I have facilitated YPT at the summer camp we attend & the discussions are fantastic!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Ed: I tend to agree with your observation and thought that initial YPT should be of the "live" variety. There are several adults in our troop that never took YPT despite my insistance that there was no excuse for them not to have had it - it's regularly offered at roundtable and various training sessions throughout the year. Since they became aware of online YPT, now they have it, but still don't really understand all of it.

The big disadvantage is that there is nobody to ask questions of, no interaction when questions or issues are brought forward by someone else, and no in-depth discussion of the principles. When taking YPT online, if do not understand something or have a question, more than likely you will not seek out the answer from another source - you will go through the process, get the card, and move on.

I fully agree that the first time should be "live" and renewal thereafter could be online or live. In fact, I have the same opinion for Safe Swim Defense and Safety Afloat. For all though, I would concede that online is probably better than some of the read-it-straight-from-the-book sessions that I have had the distinct agony of sitting through.