This past Saturday, I recieved my beads along with six other SR540 participants. The reciepients included me and a fellow Beaver and the five members of the Fox patrol who decided to wait and be beaded together. I've attended a few Roundtable beadings and decided that being handed my beads and a certificate and a quick handshake so they can move on to other business was not the way I wanted to remember my beading. Our council puts on a two weekend course called Outdoors Skills Training that is in addition to and more advanced that the IOLS course. I visited with my fellow Beaver and we elected to have our beading at OST. The Foxes found out and tagged along. What a great experience. They did the beading at the end of their campfire program. It was an unusally warm March day in Oklahoma and the temps had hit near 80. The temps in the evening were cooler, but you could wear shirt sleeves only and there was only a slight breeze. They led the course participants and those to be beaded to a campsite that was surrounded by a ring of tall trees, with a clear night sky and three huge fire burning. They pulled out the stops on the ceremony. It was a very memorable experience and the best part was having my 12 year old 1st Class son there to watch. Then he got to experience an adult cracker barrel complete with singing. It sure beat the roundtable route.

Congratulations! What a wonderful setting (said slightly wistfully). I went to another beading some years ago that was on a lakefront at sunset, with an entire patrol who had waited to get their beads together. Very moving to have more than one participant for some reason.

That said, I received my beads last Thursday and also elected not to do it at an RT. I had mine on a regular troop night - we had a short session on firebuilding (at least it smelled like woodsmoke:

Congrats Beaver,

I have been impressed with your knowledge and use of the program. You have worhed your ticket well. I am sure you will continue to be an excellent scouter for years to come.

Best Wishes,

Bob White

High praise from BW! (No sarcasm here, BW, you have an unrivaled grasp of the intricacies of the BSA documentation and have willingly provided it on many occasions to clarify issues.)

Vicki

Way To Go Beav,

Shame this isn't a little country across the pond, I would defiantly take you out for a pint. As it is we will break open a new pack of cookies at the Jambo - Just to show that we know how to do things in style!!

I am really happy for you and the Lads that you serve. I feel sure that we will not have to wait very long to hear that a 3rd bead has been added.

Of course now that the Training is out of the way you can move down here to Pennsylvania. I know just the right Council!

Good Job and Well Done.

Eamonn.

Congratulations!

You must be walking on air. I'm looking forward to my beading. It'll be a (at least) double beading ceremony at my Troop's next Court of Honor. Just last night we doubled the size of the Troop by getting 10 Webelos, so I'm hoping for a packed house of Scouts, parents and Scouters from throughout our Wood Badge Cluster.

The other Wood Badge recipient and I both wanted the Troop to share in the ceremony, so the Scouts see that their adult leaders are just as committed to advancement and skill building as they are.

Again, congratulations!

- Oren

"I used to be a Bear . . . ."

WE3-41-03

(And I will be the) Quartermaster

WE3-41-05

Thank you all for the kind and encouraging words.

E,

Maybe we can have a pint of bug juice with those cookies at Jambo. I actually had an opportunity to add that third bead with a course that is about to get under way. My WB troop guide is course director for this year's spring WB course. But, I had too much of my annual vacation tied up in Jambo this year to be able to serve on her WB staff. Hmmmmmm, I know next spring's course director pretty well. Who knows?

Yes Beav 2006 should be a lot less hectic. I have been asked if I would QM at a Wood Badge course?

It has put me in at a sticky wicket. The course will if all goes well be hosted by my home Council. I kinda, sorta selected the Course Director, we had both served on the old Cub Scout course. She is a wonderful Lady and I know that she will do a wonderful job. She was one of the ASM's for me. She will need to serve as a Troop Guide before she can be the Course Director. Which of course means that she needs to do it this year. Our Council is part of a cluster for Wood Badge, I know the Course Director for this years course really well. He was to have had this years course two years ago but it never got off the ground due to not enough participants. His Council is a very small Council and three years ago the very small Council next door hosted a course, taking a fair number of participants from his Council.

At this time the Council is looking at merging with yet another Council they are not part of our cluster and they also have a Course in 2005. My fear is that either one course will not get enough participants or if they are really unlucky neither course will reach the required number of participants.

In which case she would not get the Troop Guide experience that she needs.

I think to keep within the rules I can only return to the Happy Land as a course mentor. However the Area President wants him and I to be Quartermasters. I had him as my QM and he wants to learn how to do it right.

I don't have a problem going back as a mentor, I do think I would have to decline anything else as it would be breaking the rules. I do think that the rule is wrong, but I am really happy to see more and more real?? Scouter's being invited to serve on staff and not the same old Wood Badge staffing "Crew". Who did nothing else but Wood Badge.

As to the important stuff I am not keen on cherry bug juice - How about one of the other red ones?

Eamonn.