just signed up for woodbadge

Went last May, getting beaded soon.

There is a lot of stuff that is "Secret" (notice the quotes, meant to be tongue in cheek!), which is good, allows you to face the material fresh.

But some of the "Secrets" could have been divulged (at least at my WB). Whenever I go camping (either by myself or with the Scouts) I try and get as much info as possible. So before the second weekend, I tried to get as much info as possible. Was told just the info in the "Script" so to speak. After all, the "Backpacking" scenario was just that, a scenario. The menu we were given (and at first is was to be followed to the letter) had recipes with canned goods (on a Backpacking trip?), Pop Tarts for breakfast (after all the battles with our Young Scouts over these!) and grits (Sorry, I don't do grits!) We finally got the Staff to lighten up and let us do our own foodstuffs (surprising how many Staff came by our campsite at meal time!)

I "cheated" and threw my cot and campchair and fly in the back of my truck. After stuff was "Backpacked" to camp (about 200 yards from parking lot), they appeared in camp.

What all the fuss was about, I don't know. Most Scouters who are taking the course have been around for awhile and know how to camp. If this was suppposed to teach us, it failed.

Just one of my small gripes!

After all, us Beavers are Busybodies!(This message has been edited by Aardvark)

In my humble opinion, I think being a Webelos den leaders is the perfect time period for taking Woodbadge. The timing is right, as you can prepare the cubs for the transition from adult led to boy led activities. Also when shoping troops with your cubs you can look with a more critical eye the troops that meeting the program goals of scouting.