Here's what is covered at DE "Charm School."

I don't like the term, charm school for professional development level one, but I know it's used. So, in light of the interest some folks have in training, I figured I would give those who care about such things the "skinny" on what is taught to our DEs within (usually) the first 60-90 days on the job.

They are shipped off to the Center for Professional Development in Irving. National pays the training fee and the council pays the travel expenses. It is usually a young DE's first business trip and is very exciting. The training lasts 13 days and most of those days are at least 12 hours. They stay in a very nice Marriott hotel and the meals are excellent.

Here's the course overview:

Day 1 -- Sunday -- orientation. They are divided into partols and are taught where stuff is and the guidelines for the course.

Day 2 -- Monday. Morning patrol meetings. Sessions on values and ethics. Most sessions are part lecture, part discussion and part exercise. In the evening they cover corporate culture and diversity. Since many are right out of college someone explains to them that they are now middle class. Regardless of their economic status growing up, they are now firmly in the middle class of American life. I remember that lecture hit home to me. To say I was a priviledged youth is an overstatement at best. I like being middle class, but I digress.

Day 3 -- Tuesday. Sessions on Cub Scouting, Boy Scouting and Outdoors. All De's had to go through basic training in these areas prior to arriving, so the sessions are a bit more in-depth. The sessions also run about 3 hours each.

Day 4 -- Wednesday: Venturing, Learning for Life, Time management.

Day 5 -- Thursday: Art of volunteerism, Key three, Art of volunteerism, and District Committee

Day 6 -- Friday: District Operations Tracks, Scoutreach, Unit Service, Unit Service Tracks, Commissioner Staff Meeting, class trip (usually an evening off trip to a ballgame or other recreational activity.)

Day 7 -- Saturday (they should be used to working Saturdays by then) is Executive Issues -- charter & bylaws, Risk Management, Sexual Harrassment (preventing it, not how to :) ) and Youth Protection.

Day 8 -- Sunday -- relax, kid, you've been here a week.

Day 9 -- Monday: Finance, FOS Luncheon (how to and work through) finance, Finance career tracks, Public Speaking. Everyone has to watch a video tape of themselves speaking critiqued by the instructors and classmates.

Day 10 -- Tuesday: New unit organization (they're supposed to start 2 before arrival), membership mechanics, membership round robin, Togetehr plan.

Day 11 -- Wednesday: Personnel, Museum/ Scout Shop (another trip) and a tour of the National office with sessions by: Boy's Life, registration, Compensation and benefits, Public Relations, Computer Lab. The evening is an orientation on the BSA's Oprational Management system.

Day 12 -- Thursday: Television workshops and partol meetings in the morning, personal profile (I'm a High I/High D), setting priorities, and closing banquet.

Day 13 -- Friday: Commission ceremony and time to go home.

When I went through professional training (in 1989) it was 21 days. Way too long. When my first Scout Executive when through DE first training in the 50's, the DE candidate at the time was expected to pay for it himself and it was nearly 30 days long and you took the practicle course of Wood Badge as part of it.

If anyone is curious enough to care, I'll gladly post the course description for PD-L2 and PD-l3 which are taken about 18 months after Pd-l1 and for PD-l3 another 18 months after that.

After the 3 years and completion of PD-L1,2 and 3, and only after that, is your DE considered "basic" trained.

That's why I hate to lose them in the first three years.

DS

I was the Asst.District Commissioner Cub Scouts, when Pam our DE,started working for our Council.

Things were in a real mess.

The District Chairman, had moved to the Burgh, and really didn't have his heart in the job.

The District Commissioner, was really into Scouting, she was everywhere; on staff for Cub Scout Wood Badges, working as a COPE director at some other council camp site. Everywhere, but not here.

The Board was looking into doing away with Braddock Trail District. We were then the smallest district, we were then not meeting any of our goals. Things were not good.

No other district had ever had a female DE.

Braddock Trail, wasn't so sure at that time that we wanted one,

Other then having a son, who was/is an Eagle Scout, Pam was brand new to Scouting.

Within months of taking the job, the then Field Director quit.

The then Scout Exec. Learned his management skills during the Spanish inquisition, and thought Ken Blanchard, did an outstanding job on the Civil War documentary on PBS.

Changes were made, we got a new key 3. I was "Promoted" to District Commissioner, and we enrolled a new Chairman.

Pam took all the training, She came back telling me that it made her feel old, but it was great.

We are no longer the smallest district.

We have earned Quality District five years in a row.

Over the years she has introduced me to some of the guys that trained her, these fellows have yet to not get me anything that I have ever asked for.

Yes there have been times when I have been on my high horse and Vented at them and they have lent me an ear and given me a much needed kick in the pants.

They have come to our Council and spent time helping us to gain a better outlook of the program.

"Charm School," does seem to be very itense.

But it helped to save Braddock Trail.

Sad thing is that Pam has put her name on the list for promotion. Her first Grandchild is coming into the world next month, and they live out west.

When this or if this happens, I will not only lose a great DE, but I will lose my phone buddy.

No matter where she ends up we have shared so much stuff, not only Scouting stuff, that she will always be a very near and dear friend.

Now Dave, we have this Field Director that must have missed a few classes, can we send him back to do it again??

Eamonn

I was the Asst.District Commissioner Cub Scouts, when Pam our DE,started working for our Council.

Things were in a real mess.

The District Chairman, had moved to the Burgh, and really didn't have his heart in the job.

The District Commissioner, was really into Scouting, she was everywhere; on staff for Cub Scout Wood Badges, working as a COPE director at some other council camp site. Everywhere, but not here.

The Board was looking into doing away with Braddock Trail District. We were then the smallest district, we were then not meeting any of our goals. Things were not good.

No other district had ever had a female DE.

Braddock Trail, wasn't so sure at that time that we wanted one,

Other then having a son, who was/is an Eagle Scout, Pam was brand new to Scouting.

Within months of taking the job, the then Field Director quit.

The then Scout Exec. Learned his management skills during the Spanish inquisition, and thought Ken Blanchard, did an outstanding job on the Civil War documentary on PBS.

Changes were made, we got a new key 3. I was "Promoted" to District Commissioner, and we enrolled a new Chairman.

Pam took all the training, She came back telling me that it made her feel old, but it was great.

We are no longer the smallest district.

We have earned Quality District five years in a row.

Over the years she has introduced me to some of the guys that trained her, these fellows have yet to not get me anything that I have ever asked for.

Yes there have been times when I have been on my high horse and Vented at them and they have lent me an ear and given me a much needed kick in the pants.

They have come to our Council and spent time helping us to gain a better outlook of the program.

"Charm School," does seem to be very itense.

But it helped to save Braddock Trail.

Sad thing is that Pam has put her name on the list for promotion. Her first Grandchild is coming into the world next month, and they live out west.

When this or if this happens, I will not only lose a great DE, but I will lose my phone buddy.

No matter where she ends up we have shared so much stuff, not only Scouting stuff, that she will always be a very near and dear friend.

Now Dave, we have this Field Director that must have missed a few classes, can we send him back to do it again??

Eamonn

It sounds like charm school didn't "take" the first time with your Field Director. I won't take the second time. No, you can't send him back.

PS -- I'll be your new phone buddy. Call me anytime.

DS