Who purchases patches and awards for your pack?

We encourage all parents to participate in popcorn with some incentives (like cheaper registration and summer camp to those boys who sell popcorn) and incentives to the boys of prizes and throw a pie into the cubmaster's face kind of thing.

But the fundraising dollars that go to the pack are there to make the pack go. All the dollars belong to the pack, the money is there to help all the scouts, not just those whose parents buy into the whole fundraising thing. Those who sell popcorn get a bit of benefit extra than those who don't sell popcorn, but EVERY scout gets their awards no matter what. It's a foundation principle, that I am doing scouting with my son and taking a lot of other boys along for the ride even if their parents aren't as involved as I am. Similarly for money, the fundraiser is there to offset the cost to the families by spreading the cost of scouting to the community, even if not every boy can participate in selling popcorn. It's about as fair as possible.

Some kids are goin to have a parent who can take the popcorn paper to work with them and sell $1000's. And some kids have 2 parents who work opposite shifts at the local gas station and with watching siblings and juggling life struggle to get the kid to the popcorn sales table at the grocery store(where a parent has to stay) and seriously struggles to just take the kid to the neighbors to sell 1 thing. Both families are putting in effort, but I see the 2nd type as trying even harder but sometimes just failing to get it all coordinated. and that's ok.

We usually do get 100% of the boys to sell one item of popcorn by offering them a raffle ticket for some popcorn prizes if they sell at least 1 item. That way we at least get something out of every family. ;)

Ya know scout nut.......

There is nothing free in our Pack.....

We camp as a Pack it cost $10-$20 per person.....

Our program is active if your not earning belt loops and such it is because your not attending the meetings.

Webelos pay for their own awards thru the Packs Program fees.....

Those I serve, parent wise, are poor for a reason.....They are lazy and entitlement oriented..... So unless we put demands on them or a cost they do not participate. Just that simple.

A scout pays his own way......

All awards (belt loops, pins, etc.) earned by the boys are paid for by our Pack. Awards are paid for through the annual Pack Dues and/or Popcorn Fundraiser.

Generally, myself (CM), the CC, or one our Den Leaders will make a run to the scout shop to pick up the awards. We currently do not have an advancement chair so I (the CM) keep up with the advancement records leveraging on information from our Den Leaders.

Special event patches are also purchased by the Pack if they are reasonable for our budget.

Base, you asked, I answered.

Different Packs, different areas, different circumstances, different ways of doing things.

Most of our Scouts attend our local Catholic elementary school. They are middle class working families who spend a good chunk of their income on school costs. We have single parents, and parents (unfortunately many) who are struggling financially. They volunteer with school, church, sports, and Scouts (GSUSA & BSA). They fund raise for school, sports, church, and Scouts. They are not lazy.

Nothing is free in our Pack either. Our boys, and their families, work their butts off for two months selling popcorn. We have 3-5 booth sales every weekend. We charge for events also. We just keep the cost as low as possible. Our Pack campouts are $10 per family.

How we run things works for our Pack.

We camp at State Park, or County, youth group camps, purchase non-brand food from the cheap volume grocery, and ask participating families to provide an item or two from a list.

The $10 is mainly as a means to solidify the families reservation. The Pack picks up the brunt of the cost.