New Webelo Den Leader

Hi! I just signed on to be the Webelos 1 Den Leader for our pack.

I have been an active parent for the last 2 years of Cub Scouting. I was frustrated with our old den leader as nothing was ever accomplished at our meetings. I did it all at home with my son.

As a Den Leader I want to ensure we are working on things at our meetings and to really make parents accountable for the work needed to be done outside of our meetings.

Any and all advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Welcome.

The Webelos (no such thing as a Webelo) program is very different from the programs for Tiger/Wolf/Bear. Take the Webelos training as soon as possible, including the outdoor training.

Read thru the Webelos Handbook.

Get to know the various Troops in your area, and get your Scouts out to their meetings.

Take your den outdoors. Take your den camping.

Have FUN!

Don't worry, it's only an hour a week :-)

I agree with ScoutNut--take the Webelos OWL training as soon as possible. You have to get the boys into the outdoors. You have to work on them with knots, you have to hike, you have to get out of arts/crafts. Try to get the boys to decide on more and more things. They will soon be making most of their own decisions in scouting.

Well, I can't change my user name :/ Thank you for letting me know that "Webelo" is not correct. I appreciate it.

I did all of the training online last night. I looked on our district's website the only training I see is in October it is a BALOO, OWLS, & ITOLS Training?

There is a Webelos Woods Campout in September though. With the training being in October, that means we can't attend, as I am not overnight qualified yet correct?

I would really recommend doing the Webelos Woods campout. One of the keys to a great Webelos experience is going camping, and that should be a good introduction to how Webelos camping can be done. It's probably also an introduction to using Boy Scouts as part of your program and getting introduced to one or more Boy Scout troops, which is another key to a fine Webelos program.

Done right, with Webelos being a real transition between Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts, it should be a great transition into Boy Scouts for boys.

Good luck with your program!

The Webelos Woods program is put on through/by your district/council. They are the ones providing the trained leadership.

Read the Webelos Woods registration flyer. It should give you the information on what is required to attend. It should also have contact info for the person in charge of the program. You can give him/her a call for more info on the program.

For the October training, sign up for the OWLS training. BALOO is for Pack overnighters, and IOLS is for Boy Scout level Troop leaders.

BSA National does NOT REQUIRE a leader to be trained in Outdoor Leader Skills For Webelos Leaders (OWLS) in order to take their Webelos den camping.

A few individual councils have added this as a requirement in order to have a Tour Plan for a Webelos den camping trip approved.

As a Webelos Woods overnight is put on through/by the district, and/or council, most councils do not require the Webelos dens attending to file a Tour Plan. Some might.

As councils are allowed by BSA National to make these types of requirements more, but not less, strict (councils can not state that no one is required to take youth protection, or that BALOO training is no longer required at all), it is always best to verify requirements with your council, and the director of the particular program (Webelos Woods) you wish to attend.

Good that your concerned about training. Take the required ones on Myscouting.org. There are others there too. Those are good as well.

OWLS helps you be a better teacher and gets you to understand the Webelos Program better. As others have said, it's not required. Ok, well if your going after the Webelos Den Leader Knot, then it is. (Which is now the Den Leaders Knot...but that's a different story.)

GO to Webelos Woods. Within our District, the parents are highly encouraged to come so they can see what the transistion to Boy Scouts is going to be like and what Boy Scouts really is. It's NOT Webelos III.

Outside of that, get the books people have said to get. This link is also a great resouce: http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Webelos_Den_Leader_Portal

Thank you for the help everyone! Tonight is our first leader meeting. I am going to the Scout Store on Saturday to get a uniform and some books. Our Cub Master has a few books for me to look at tonight. I have been told that the Webelos Woods Wknd is more for Web 2s? Is that true? Would my den benefit as we are just starting Web 1? Thanks for all the great links! I have a long list bookmarked now! :)

Webelos 1,Webelos 2 are arbitrary designations. Webelos is an 18 month program.

I think that going to Webelos Woods would be a great way to kick start your den's Webelos program.

Your Scouts would learn a lot, and so would you.

Find out from the program director for the Webelos Woods what they will be covering/doing in their program. That way you can avoid covering the same ground in your den meetings prior to WW, and be able to prepare the boys for what they will be doing.