Two Boys life versions, right?

Maybe you didn't know, but Boys' Life (watch that apostrophe!) publishes TWO versions, one for Cubs and one for Boy Scouts. Each is "adjusted" in it's content for the target audience.

F'instance: Look at your July 2012 edition. On page 30 of my BS version is an article about the TV cable show "Scouting for Action" . On page 30 of the Cub version is an article about our local Cub Pack planting trees. Same cover, slightly different content.

Both are good articles, but wouldn't a Cub be interested in a TV show about camping and hiking and wouldn't a BScout be interested in a environmentally sensitive planting of trees? You could tie it in to the Forestry MB or discuss how to plant things successfully.

I can understand the reasoning (different ages, different interests, etc.) but I can't help but think that Cubs would want to see the more adventurous stuff the big boys do, and the big boys might be inspired to other stuff by what the littler boys accomplish.

Didn't have two editions back in the day. When did this start?

The printing of two versions started in the late 1990s, early 2000s. If memory serves, the reason was that the education consultants think it's better to do it that way to keep everyone reading, hence promoting literacy.

I'm kinda old school, so I wish there was only one version for all. Also I think having one version, while not helping the older scouts out much, would help the younger ones with reading comprehension. I know my 6 yo middle son got hooked on reading after seeing older brother enjoy books and magazines and started reading on his own at 5. He's now going into 1st grade, but reading some of his brother's 4th and 5th grade level books.

If I am correct, I believe that the changeover occurs in the summer between 4th and 5th grade. That is, as the boys enter the 2nd year of Webelos, they begin getting the Boy Scout version of Boy's life.

I'd probably do the changeover at the beginning of Webelos, but I think going much before that would be too much. (Then again, my son is a really advanced reader, so I may be asking for the change too early...)

It's hard to get a single magazine that can reach kids who just finished Kindergarten and those who are about to turn 18, and reach them all at the level they will be interested in.

Honestly I doubt to many actual scouts read the Magazines any more..

Hate to say it but they rather be doing stuff online..

I know my Pack rechartered everyone and made it Mandatory to Sign up for Boys life even if they did not want it. Several Parents questioned why the need 4 Copies of Boy's Life when their Kids just share and save then money.

The Real reason so the Pack could get a 100% Boy's Life ribbon for the Flag Again

jpstodwftexas - Ask your council about that, if someone here does not confirm it.. But I have a hazy recollection that if you have brothers in the troop, you can just order the magazine for one of them, and still get the 100% boys life ribbon..

I myself had only one child go through, so it was sort of in one ear and out the other..