Day Camp Episode II: The Saga Continues....

As you all know, after building up CSDC as Program Director (PD)for the past 2 years and dealing with a Camp Director (CD) that has caused a lot of challenges, I stepped down to be a TC DL at camp with middle son. But I said I would help in any way, shape or form. I did not want what happened to me happening to my replacement, i.e. being totally left on my own with no support from my CD and creating a program the kids want from scratch. So I gave my replacement copies of everything I had, met with him a few times, talked about issues, etc. BUT I did not want to cause problems with the new PD, usurp his authority, and butt in when not asked. So I stepped back, offered advice when asked, etc. It was very hard at first, but I got involved with a new hobby with the kids: model trains. So I have been outta the CSDC loop for 2.5 - 3 months now.

Now over the past months I have heard from folks about their concerns for camp. I told them to give the new PD a chance as some ideas he has to improve camp are things that are needed to be done, and others are good ideas we've heard about from Camp School. But I still get comments of concern.

Well I get an email last nite that has caused me some concern. Supplies not ordered yet, some volunteers no longer helping out, and a request for a meeting this upcoming week preceded by the comments "Yes. I'm willing to admit defeat." I have a feeling that the CD has struck again. It seemed as if things were going well between the two, heck he even got her email out of her, something I begged her for among other things I begged her for to run day camp.

Anyway, needed to vent, especially since we got 5 weeks to camp.

Well Eagle....

Ya have a couple of choices.....

Swoop into the rescue and allow the toxic CD continue her rain of terror.

Or let it fail because of her forcing the powers hands to deal with it.

Sounds to me like you just have a lazy/clueless PD.......I did the program director thing and it was a ton of work......Ordering supplies????? What in the world is their to order???

Base,

Since I got 2 sons going to camp this year, you can guess what I'm going to do. As for the PTB, we got a new, inexperienced DE that will also be away this summer since he's been assigned summer camp duties.

Good news is we now have 3 folks NCS trained, so the CD can be replaced for next year.

As for the PD, I would not call him clueless or lazy. I would call him trusting. He's kinda like me, gives people the benefit of the doubt and trusts them until burned. And I think the CD snowballed him like she did me when I first became PD.

Again good news is I'm here to help whereas I had no one.

As to supplies, craft supplies i.e. leather crafts, beads, etc. Unfortunately I don't think he has an inventory of supplies from the CD yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Eagle92,

Just curious - how did it go? I was the PD and the CD this year for our District's Day Camp and have been doing this for many years so I hear ya! Went through one difficult year where we had to team up with another District and that was the end of that.. lol.. but since then I have been lucky enough to have worked with some great people and have had volunteers who come back year after year to help us out.

It's a hard call when people aren't "getting it" and are not cooperative or even moody and hard to work with.. yuck. we're supposed to be having fun too!

Camp is 2.5 weeks away. We have some challenges still. Long story short I've had 5 folks, including some staffers, that have some concerns. Staff meeting is Saturday, and I am hoping all will be well.