Watching Things Fall Into Place

After working 4 1/2 years to revive a Cub Pack that was down to a single boy when I started, it is really good to see parents contributing willingly and things falling into place.

At the end of last year, a parent and Den Leader took my place as Cubmaster.

I took the Chartered Organization Rep position and as a Committee Member.

At Scout Sunday in February, a long time parish members and former Den Mother in the pack said she was interested in serving with the Pack again, so she took over as the Chartered Organization Rep and has been very helpful with that.

We've been having well attended committee meetings, and parents have been offering to organize program at our upcoming June overnight camp.

Just today a parent said they'd be able to do candle making as an activity. I'm thinking boys will be able to make a candle that can be used at the evening Pack meeting to mark their rank advancement as part of a ceremony.

I've taken over as Treasurer to relieve someone who wanted out of that job, and because I have some ideas on things the Treasurer should do.

But there are definite indications that the pack is standing on it's own leadership and has less need of the time I've been putting into it.

That's taken a couple years longer than I had anticipated, but still very nice to see.

As District Membership Chair, all too often I witness units that are falling apart. Watching one fall together is a great experience!

SeattlePioneer, Congratulations. I'm glad for you and for the boys. I can identify with your experience. I too revived a pack but things weren't nearly as dire as you experienced, I'm really impressed. To me 'falling into place' occurred at a different level though. I just liked to watch the boys confront an activity (a problem), focus on it, and then work together, no matter how inefficiently or how many mistakes, to try to solve it. To me each of those occasions was all I needed to see 'fall into place'. I have always liked the cubs far more than the scouts. And I think your cubs will long remember you for what you did as well. Your work and time has left you with some great memories. And you'll enjoy those for the rest of your life. Enjoy.

The issue was never with the boys. The issue was about finding adults interested in the program and giving them the opportunity, training and experience needed to make it work.

My ideas to get things started were pretty good, but now we have people improving over what I could do, which should feed on itself and continue to improve the program.

SP - Good work on the transition. This is something I am having a tough time with. It's not that adults don't care. It's that they see my job (or the job as CC) as "too involved". I get lines like "I'm a follower, not a leader." Really? You're raising four boys (five, if you count hubby), and you're not leading?

You know the really sad part? The adult support of a crew is 10 times easier than that of a pack. You put in an hour here or there, and the youth will return 50 (once they catch on that you're only putting in that little bit of time and the rest of it you're off having coffee with other advisors or inspecting the car)!

Getting parents to dive in and come together is a skill. You should be proud.

That is true.

I'm having great success by treating new families WELL right off the bat --- insuring that they have an exciting program, and that the Cub Scouting program is explained to them, and being careful to invite them to leader meetings where they are introduced and made to feel welcome.

From what I've seen, the reverse tends to be the norm. Once families sign up, they are frequently ignored and it may take them months to figure out the program if they don't drop out.

I organize a Bobcat Den of all new boys and parents recruited at our April 2nd recruiting night. We do a well planned hike and hot dog roast April 21st and invite new parents to a reception in their honor at our April 30th parent meeting.

Monday all those new boys will be finishing up earning their Bobcat Badge and getting prepared for our June 2-3 overnight camp along with parents.

Boys completing the Bobcat will "graduate" into their regular dens, except for Kindergarteners who will be forming our new Tiger Cub Den.

The idea is to have one exciting activity after another so that parents experience what a quality program is like ----something they can get enthusiastic about supporting.

Several of those new parents will be either leading or assisting with activities at our pack overnight camp.

That seems to be the trick and secret as far as I can see.