Boy Scout Style Pack Meetings

Our CO is one of those churches that has classroom style rooms available to our pack. We also meet every Monday Night at the same time to give the boys consistency in something. Knowing that at 7:00 every Monday night in the same room as always does reinforce that consistency.

Do our DL's have to use the rooms, Nope. They can plan their own den meeting for wherever they want. I actually encourage them to think of other places to meet, especially when it's warm out and the boys are going stir crazy from being indoors. The only thing I ask is they let me know where they're going to be, and when they're going to be there. Inevitably, a parent will walk in and look for the den meeting, and then ask me about it. I can then direct them to the meeting location when they're off campus.

Hello Lisabob,

ore the problem of inadequately planned meetings than the form of the meeting, I suspect.

You have to engineer fun activities into your meetings, then carry them out with style. A lot of adult Cubmasters have trouble doing that, and it's probably more of a challenge for Senior Patrol Leaders.

SP:

And yet you propose changing not the content of the meetings, but the form of the meetings. Why?

Sure, it's much easier to impose an across-the-board change from the top down than to sit with three or four inexperienced DLs who aren't doing the things you mention and give them honest feedback and advice about how to improve. But working one-on-one will have much better results for the long term.

Hello Shortridge,

You are exactly correct. The problem IS the Den Leaders and I am reluctant to try to "council" them. In such situations I tend to make a bad impression, so I avoid it.

That does have consequences for my pack.

Even so, it seems sort of redundant to have several den leaders repeat common program elements like gathering activities, and opening and closing ceremonies when everyone is in the same room.

It seems to me that doing these activities as a common program would relieve Den Leaders from part of the program planning task. That is desirable in my view, and would result in a higher quality program.

So even apart from my own weakness, it seems worth considering to me.

I don't like combined gathering activities, because we may be cutting out boards, or sanding stuff to use later in the meeting, signing books or reviewing rules for a game we are going to play, retesting th 30 days of fitness exercises for webelos--often a more structured gathering activity, and if the pack takes that time away from my den meeting that cuts into my den time.

We also encourage dens to have an actual planned gathering activity/game rather than a free for all, otherwise it ends up with a couple of tiger parents trying to watch over all 30+ boys on the playground and they don't know all their names and sometimes stuff happens.

Our opening ceremony in most dens is cycling thru each boy practicing leading a flag ceremony based on their rank ability level (so tigers are practicing the pledge with their adult partner, and Webelos are calling color guards) and they need that practice they won't get in a group setting or will be too overwhelmed if they have to do it in front of 30 cubs instead of 6.

Start your leader meeting with a flag ceremony and demonstrate a few styles/levels.

rotate thru the dens having them take turns leading a flag ceremony with color guards (the whole den) to carry the flags to post on stage for your pack meetings. Advise your den leaders they should practice those things every week in their den meeting opening ceremony so that if one den forgets any other den can step up and take over the pack meeting flag ceremony. It sort of puts den leaders on the spot, but it encourages them to practice in their dens, which is your goal.

We usually rotate starting with Webelos 2's so by the time we get to the tiger den, they've had some time with the whole idea of things, and can do a flag ceremony to lead the pack in the pledge with all tigers standing on stage if they are not able to carry the flags, or walk with their adult partner carrying the flags to post them on stage. Lots of ways to do it.

"Our CO is one of those churches that has classroom style rooms available to our pack. We also meet every Monday Night at the same time to give the boys consistency in something. Knowing that at 7:00 every Monday night in the same room as always does reinforce that consistency.

Do our DL's have to use the rooms, Nope. They can plan their own den meeting for wherever they want. I actually encourage them to think of other places to meet, especially when it's warm out and the boys are going stir crazy from being indoors. The only thing I ask is they let me know where they're going to be, and when they're going to be there. Inevitably, a parent will walk in and look for the den meeting, and then ask me about it. I can then direct them to the meeting location when they're off campus. "

CHange the time to 6 pm and you just described out pack. WE also meet at the same place for conveinence. Easiet to cath the CM ( me) or CC or the treasuere or secretary if you are all at the same place. Makes it esasier to pass along info if something coms up versus me having to call all DL's who then have to call all parents.

I do , however, encourage DL's to change things as needed. One DL changed their meeting times a half hour later to accomidate scouts who wave soccer and football practice. I tell them they can have den meetings in another place or locatuion if the want. Do them on Tues, weds, or whatever night that works best for everybody. I tell them that if the want, they can meet on Sat or Sun during the day. They could even make a half day of it if the wanted, do scout stuff, play a game of kickball or whatever, then maybe cook hotdogs and smore over a campfire...whatever keeps the scouts interested and having fun. Whatever keeps it exciting.