Fiskars and Great Neck both make hand drills. Cheap at about $10 apiece. Look in your local craft store or online. I would consider these very light duty drills but adequate for what the cubbies will build and easy to use.

I do have an antique hand drill that I picked up, but to be honest it looks more dangerous than your average power tool.

We've also let the boys use battery powered cordless drills with adult supervision. [i'm going to duck now...](This message has been edited by 83eagle)

Here's the drill (!):

Cubs with power tools: With dad or mom in the home workshop/basement... not your problem.

Cubs at Cub Scout activity (Den meeting, CSDC,etc.)... no.

There is almost always a manual alternative when working with wood or plastic, or even metal. It is always good to gain experience with hand tools.

Take my word for it, small hands can break expensive power tools and get hurt EASIER than with manual tools.

Handsaws, screwdrivers, hammers, sanding blocks, wrenches all come in various sizes and types. Let the boy have fun and gain confidence and pride of use with the easy stuff first. Our grandfathers did.