Oh, sure. NOW they get involved...

If you followed the saga last spring of my Pack being on it's last breath due in large part to a hands-off "ghost committee" among other things, you might find this sort of funny.

So, I begged for help from another Unit. Their CC was in the process of turning that Pack over to the parents of younger Scouts. When she heard our plight, she agreed to come on as CC here, and she recruited another mom from a third Unit to come over, too, as Treasurer and an extra Committee member.

All well and good, right? The new CC introduced herself to the Committee (although 2 of 4 of them were missing in action, and the CORep didn't show up, either). The TWO who DID show up approved her as the CC.

Well, the gal who's coming on as the Treasurer (whom 3/5 of the dudes haven't met) called the current (really not interested in helping in any tangible way) guy who's had the checkbook, and asked to meet him at the bank to get added on to the account.

Now he's all nervous and doesn't want to do it, not knowing her (understandable), but he came HERE to ask whose authority it was to let him do that. All I could tell him was, "Not mine. I work for you. YOU are the Committee."

"But I wasn't at that meeting."

"Yes, I know."

"Who has the final decision?"

"The CORep."

"Was he at the meeting?"

"Nope."

"Then what do I do?"

"I don't know. That's up to you 4 men, and the CORep to determine. Not me. Sorry."

"But...but...we don't know how any of this is supposed to be done."

"Right. I know that. Nevertheless, YOU folks OWN the Pack. YOU have to decide how to run it. I work for you. YOU have to tell ME how you want it."

He went off grumbling about tracking down the other Committee members. YAY! FINALLY! For 2 years, they didn't want to DO anything. And now that someone wants to take it off their hands, they don't wanna give it up.

How ironic. :0) But hey, now at least we're getting some action!

Have the CC, and Treasurer both filled in an Adult Application? Have their applications been approved by the COR?

Until the Treasurer is an official member of the Pack I would not be comfortable with turning over financial info to her either.

A year ago when we appointed a new treasurer, the bank wanted minutes of the meeting approving the new person as treasurer.

So I wrote up the minutes and signed them as Cubmaster. No problem.

My CC has now been serving in that office eight months. She sent out an e-mail asking people to volunteer for various pack positions, including treasurer.

It's generally a bad practice to ask for volunteers to fill positions. You want to identify the best person for a particular job and ask them to serve. This is especially important for a treasurer.

Sigh.

Also, I strongly recommend that monthly checking account statements be sent to someone OTHER than the treasurer. To the committee chair if you have one who is wide awake or the Cubmaster.

You want someone reviewing the checking account statement to look for anything out of place.

That's the most fundamental double check on a treasurer that's available, in my view.

I love pulling the "not my job card" on upset absentee leaders!

SP's right. I know folks whose Pack treasuries "disappeared". A little wisdom and accountability is in order.

Point is, you want to encourage the old guard to stick around, so thank them for jumping on this because even if the kids don't appreciate it, it's good to know that responsible people care about these boys $$'s!

Encourage them that even though it may take a little more of their time, helping train these young parents will pay off in the long run.

SeattlePioneer wrote: "Also, I strongly recommend that monthly checking account statements be sent to someone OTHER than the treasurer. To the committee chair if you have one who is wide awake or the Cubmaster. "

What a great suggestion! I'll make that part of our SOPs.

I totally understand the concern! I just thought it was funny that I begged for help/more input/involvement for a solid year, and was told, "Find other people." So I WENT AND FOUND THEM! :0)

Both the new Treas and the new CC are transfers from other Units; they're both already all registered, trained, etc... They've been with those Units for 4 and 5 years.

When we were in death throes, and the now-CC offered to help, and said she might know a Treas who would transfer, too, I asked the DE what he thought. He approved of them, having worked with them over these past few years within their previous Units.

I think the statement currently goes to the church office, and the church secretary gives it to the old dude who's been doing the books since the children's minister lady retired.

I understand his concern, but he needs to either put up or shut up, pardon the term. He wouldn't even keep the Individual Scout Accouts that we had to put in place for the Camp Cards last spring. *I* had to do it, because he literally refused. Um... hey, Treasurer? That's what Treasurers DO.

But again, I appreciate his caution. My only point was that I can't solve his dilemna for him.

Ann,

I like the way you handled the Pack Committee. You provided a good lesson here: Committee members will not become active unless they have something to do and suddenly have to make decisions.

Good lesson also for Cubmasters: Stay out of committee business and be the Cubmaster. Often, Cubmasters don't know how to say "not my job" because either they do not understand their role or they are control freaks.