Displaying Cub Scout Neckerchiefs

Launder them, IRON them, then: (choices):

*seal them up in ziplock bag of proper size, save for when Scout is of the nostagic age, along with all his other memorabilia, in shoe box, in baggies.

* Go to Michaels or Arts&Crafts and shop for a "shadow box". You may end up with more than one, consider buying in advance so as to have matching set. Arrange neckers in a cascade of ranking, tips showing, Webelos at the top. Pin them to the cloth backing, using stainless steel pins , else there will eventually be rust stains. Better: Put neckers folded in ziploc bags, and put pins thru the bags.

Get a real big s/box, leave room for OA, Jamboree, Eagle, etc. neckers. Don't forget the rank and camp patches. You can get a shirt front (pockets) backing from Scoutshop, or just cut up an old shirt, or sew/glue badges on the blue/tan cloth seperately for display.

* Neckers don't lend themselves to this, but the badges/patches can be adhered/sewn to a fleece blanket for wall display. This is not as popular as it has been, but such display blankets were shoulder wraps at camp fires of the past.(This message has been edited by SSScout)

One of our parents is making a quilt with clothing from her son's years. She is adding the neckers as part of it.

Another parent is making throw pillows for the bed, using the neckers for one side, and a color coded cloth on the other (orange for tiger, yellow for wolf, etc)

I was planning on doing a shadowbox with each necker folded to reveal the rank, the Badge of Rank above the emblem, and the slides below each rank, resting at the bottom of the frame.

Then in the top area of the folded neckers, in the multi-colored field as it were, I'd place some of the prized badges at different angles.

That's my working mental model, anyway. Simple, compact. :0)

Sew the 4 neckers with the four points in the middle (Tiger, Wolf, Bear and Webelos). It will make a square. Then add the rank patches and arrow points to the open area (the ends that are normally rolled up) and then mount on a padded art board. Remove all the backs to the pins and stick through the neckers to the board. Then frame with no glass and display on the wall. Belt and belt loops can be attached to the bottom edge. Denner Cords can be added as well. Either they are sewn to the neckers or pinned to the art board.

Stosh

ugh... sewing, cutting, altering neckerchiefs just kills us collectors. Please think twice before doing that.

I know they are Cub Scout neckers in this discussion, but Boy Scout neckers can become heirlooms and very valuable themselves.

As a collector myself I know the pain of people messing with such items, but in this case the effort is for the boy, not some collector 50 years down the road. 90% of my scout memorabilia went to my younger brothers in scouting. It was either keep it for whatever reason or make use of it in the family.

I only have my Bobcat pin, a scout knife and my necker left. The Bobcat pin is on my uniform collar, the scout knife is in my pocket (as it always has been now for almost 50 years) and my necker is in my drawer. The rest is just memories. :)

Stosh