Overnight Ideas in the Greater Boston Area

We have done Battleship Cove and the Museum of Science and I have been told that the USS Constitution is boring for Cubs -- looking for feedback and ideas for overnights (we will limit it to newengland within 3 hours of Boston). Any help is greatly appreciated.

Just don't want the program getting stale. ;)

Wow!! As an 8 year old, I was facinated with "Old Ironsides" and even toured Bunkler Hill Monument.

There is also Salem, Cape Cod, Mayflower, .... So much history in MA (don't forget the fishing villages along the highway going towards NH).

You could try any of the battlefields in Concord or off Route 2 between Fitchburg and Boston (closer to NH). Haven't been there in years but took the wife there last time I visited home. They may allow overnight (ghost included at no cost).

No sure why you want "overnight" vice "day trips" but it's your show.

Yes, I live in TX but I was born and am proud to be a "YANKEE" from MA.

My $0.02

YiS,

Rick

I know cubbers need a campsite from the "approved" list, Unsure if a State or full service campground near a site you want to visit needs to be approved but I don't see how hard it would be to get them on an Approved list. So just find camping nearby a great place to visit.

The old plymouth plantation, or Sturbridge village are great historical sites..

How about a trip to Martha's vineyard? This might not make the "approved list" I am unsure how rustic this place is.. But, there is an area on Martha's vineyard reserved for BSA camping..

Yankee Clipper Council cubs have a program with the Higgins Armory in Worcester (http://www.higgins.org/) -- there has also been an overnight with one of the "minor league" hockey teams in Lowell (I think the team is gone now, but I'm not sure if another team/arena picked up the overnight). The Lowell Spinners also have an overnight on their field. Maybe the Manchester team does too.

Another thought -- Howe Caverns in upstate NY has a Scout program. That almost meets your 3-hour limit, depending upon your whereabouts in NH.

This also just came to me -- there is an "aerial adventure park" (zip-lines, bridges, etc) that is in Western MA. It didn't seem that expensive for a day pass (on par with Battleship Cove overnights, as I recall). However, I can't remember the name of the place. It looked like a lot of fun, with appropriate structures for all ages.

"No sure why you want "overnight" vice "day trips" but it's your show.

Our group does not seem to like day trips. . .we can't seem to get them to a hike up Kearsarge or to a baseball game 25 minutes from home, but we can get 25 of our 40 or so scouts plus siblings to Battleship Cove or the Museum of science. I don't understand it myself. I appreciate all the great suggestions and will follow up on them, also has nayone been to the New England Air Museum? Looks like a good program but the Planetarium did too. . .:)