Maybe Bob White or other DEEP folks may be able to help answer this.

I am looking for all information concerning the "White Stag Program" and its current status. I download the 254 page PDF from the national site, but it is deep and I want our unit to be involved in it. Is it still offered?

ASM1

Ok, Ok, I am reading the document and I am blown away with it. I want everyone to see if your district or council offer this program. The document says that Wood Badge for the 21st century came from this program. And it is Junior Leader Training program. If this is not offered anymore, we have to re-start it on individual unit levels if nothing else.

ASM1

Well, I guess this was either far above everyones head, or a deeply unwanted subject. Funny, my DE ignored the request for information also. Hmm, I guess youth training of this kind endorsed by BSA is not a topic of concern.

ASM1

I stayed up late last night and read the entire document. It is the Wood Badge program for youths above the age of 14. Basically for a Venture Crew. Simply outstanding. Unfortunately everyone here on the East Coast just stared at me like a deer caught in the headlights when I mentioned it. Nobody heard of it and because they have not heard of it, they are not interested in it. Shame! I am sending my boys next summer to take this course.

ASM1

ASM1

I haven't read it yet, but here in NEPA Council we run Great Medicine every two years. It is a weeklong training course for the youth run just like the old Wood Badge course. The only adults on the course are the SM and two Asmt's. It is run mostly by the youth. Will ceck out the white stag and let you know if it is the same.

My limited information is that White Stag is a local name for the Council/ District Junior Leader Training course. many Councils across the country rename JLT to a more interesting name. My council refers to it as Birch Bark (the first JLT course put on by BP issued certificates written in birch bark).

The existing JLT syllabus was based on the last rendition of Wood Badge. The current Wood Badge is all new and unique and was based on the input of 50 scout volunteers and a professional management author and lecturer.

Bob White

ASM1: What a resource! The more I reserch the site the more things I find and it looks great! I've only scratched the surface but thanks for the address. I have sent it out over our council's list serve and it should be interesting to see what happens here. YIS: Steve

This appears to be someones idea of how to do JLT. Looks like its just a councils rendition of Week long JLTC. although not a nationally recognized training program it appears to be a good additional resource. Looks like 4 councils are using it in 02.

Paul

Well I see this is interesting. A lot of opinion of what White Stag is, all wrong, but still interesting. I contacted the program director and got the poop on it. White Stag was started in 1938 and is now the model for Wood Badge training. Somewhere along the line it got twisted into adult leadership training. It was never intended as such.

I intend on enrolling our older scouts into this course in Indiana and making our Troop and Crew White Stag Units. I have tried to talk to our DE about starting White Stag training here in our council, but he does not seem interested so far.

So, we will start it on a unit level and see what happenes.

ASM1