Webelos (not) Graduation

Have been working on our den graduations. Tiger, Wolf, Bear transition is pretty apparent - new neckers and new dens. Looking for suggestions for Webelos:

First-years moving to second-year.

Second-years leaving the pack and NOT transitioning to Boy Scouting.

The second-years dropping out of the program get a small token, a smile and a handshake. What can we do with the first-years? We're recognizing the other dens with the new neckers and the little ceremony that goes along with it.

We give the new 5th graders a necker slide with the AOL arrow on it, and a vittle kit.

Their part of the graduation ceremony is to move on to the last leg of their Cub Scout trail, toward AOL, and Boy Scouting.

For the 1st-year Webelos we do a brief graduation ceremony centered around the Arrow of Light that involves an AoL plaque. We present them with a Boy Scout Handbook to use in working on their AoL requirements. After that we involve them with putting the Webelos neckerchief/slide on the new 1st-years.

My pack gives them something outdoor related when Webelos finish their first year (we call it 'graduating to Webelos II," although that is not a true BSA term, it is the most common).

In the past we gave out compasses. This year it was cook kits. I say give them anything that prepares them to....

PUTS THE OUTING IN SCOUTING! :)

Normally, we give the boys in that group some sort of outdoor tool. ( we did firestarters at B/G, along with compasses for all boys in the pack) At our bridging ceremony during our Spring campout, we gave them flashlights. I found some discontinued 6 LED flashlights at Home Depot for .98 ea. Bought a bunch just to have around, and gave them to our 4th graders going into 5th grade.

Generally we cross all the first year webelos over........... So most of our first year Webelos get an AOL and a career arrow.

The second year webelos program is just more of the same.

I don't understand this. How can you give first year Web's the AOL. There's no way they can qualify.

Actually yes there is in 2 situations.

1) LDS unit using the old 3 year program ( 3rd=Wolf, 4th= Bear, and 5th= Webelos)

2) 10.5 years of age and in 4th grade.

Be active in your Webelos den for at least six months since completing the fourth grade (or for at least six months since becoming 10 years old), and earn the Webelos badge.

http://usscouts.org/advance/cubscout/arrowoflight.asp

83eagle: age wise my kid would have qualified. He turned 10 last july before starting 4th grade. And I considered doing it because he is already bored to tears with cub scouts and wants to move on to boy scouts.

Honestly, I think it's only a matter of time before the webelos programs get changed. There seems to be a general consensus that it is 6.5 months too long.

We give crossing Web IIs nothing more than a handshake, a smile and a promise for a fun year as they move up to their second year. I think we must be the only pack that doesn't hand out anything, not neckerchiefs, slides, books or anything else at crossover. The boys and parents don't seem to care, I think it is all about expectations. We used to give handbooks, but so many were lost over the summer that we switched to giving out books at our first fall meeting. Anyone who wants to work on requirements over the summer uses online resources like merit.org, which most of us use anyway.

Can I make a suggestion? Do not use the word, or set the tone, of a graduation. A graduation is the end in the mind of a child. Rather, say promotion! Mike you have earned a promotion to Bear; John you are now promoted to The Arrow of Light Patrol; Bill you are promoted to Boy Scout. Promotion sets a better tone, youll have better retention.