Bear Electives Clarification

Before we start working on the Bear badge next year, I want to get direction on the Arrow Points for the Bear badge.

Cub Scout can go back and do requirements from the Achievements section of the book and use them as requirements for arrow points, as long as they do not count any requirements from achievements that they used to earn the Bear badge. Unused parts of achievements that were used for the Bear badge may NOT be counted toward Arrow Points.

I take this statement as this.

Toward the Bear Rank, if you are completing Country and you are to complete three of the Achievements and you decide to use 5. Sharing Your World with Wildlife for one of the three, and the four of five requirements you choose to complete are a, b, c, and e.

Then after earning the Bear rank you cannot come back and do d, and make a trip to the zoo and count it as an elective.

But, if you do not use Achievement 4, Tall Tales, to satisfy the requirements of one of three, then you can use a, b, and c as electives for a total of three toward an arrow point.

Is the correct interpretation?

(This message has been edited by jzweiac)

you have it right

if you use 3,4, 5 for bear badge

you could use 6 a-g and 7 a-f for elective points giving you 13 points so 1 gold and part of a silver.

but if you don't do say 5c it is not elective.

I don't have my bear 2010 program in front of me,

but the first round of that said that you could use any unused parts of achievements for elective points.

that is in direct contradiction to waht the bear book itself says, and the book should be your guide.

double check what this year's edition of the book says just to be sure.

to make it easier on yourself

announce to everyone that you will date the achievements, so that the first 3 for country count for bear, and any extras will be electives.

otherwise you have parents at the end of the year wanting to count # 4 for bear, so they can count #6 for elective, regardless of which were completed first. they think that will get them more arrows to put on the uniform but turns into a paperwork nightmare.

let the parents know that while their son can earn a boatload of those silver arrows, only the gold and about 4 silvers fit on the shirt nicely where they could be seen. the others if put on the shirt would be down so low they get tucked into the pants and the only one who sees them is the boy's underwear and whoever does laundry and picks the dirty shirt up off the floor. ;)

• 4 months later...

I hate to bring up an old thread, but why does the Cub Scout 2010 program call for Scouts to receive elective credit for pieces of achievements done above and beyond what is required for the rank.

On Den meeting 2, Achievement 3 is used toward the Bear Rank. It says that after a and j and two others are used, this plan call for more achievements that would be used as electives after the badge is earned.

To me, this puts the Cub Scout 2010 program and the Bear handbook in conflict. Is there a change in the way that Bear electives are handled? Is there going to be a change?

I've been complaining about the error in the 2010 program book for counting electives since before it was the 2010 program book and was just a fast tracks program in experimental phase.

the person who wrote the 2010 program for Bear did not understand what the book said, and did not pay close attention to following it to the letter. they made up their own rules and BSA rubber stamped it.

And it's wrong.

It's similar to the Webelos craftsman 2010 program starting 2 woodworking projects in den meetings, and then telling the boys they completed craftsman when they need to do 4 projects not out of wood and a display stand. I'm not so sure how that is supposed to work out???