What Programs to do at CS Resident Camp

Ok folks here's the deal. I want to know what type of programs you would want to see at a CS Resident Camp. Standard Boy Scout resident camp with the following:

Waterfront is off limits for boating, fishing OK, due to it being a river.

Has a pool.

Has a climbing tower.

BB and Archery ranges (With CS friendly folks as council has Shanghied my CSDC shooting sports folks from last year and the year before ;) )

Will have a brand new nature center (in process of being built)

Large field for activities ( like ROCKETRY ;) sorry couldn't resist since Supply has a very good sale on all rocketry stuff at the moment)

Trails galore

tents.

Is a Thursday Evening through Sunday Morning camp (2.5 days of program)

Want to have an advancement oriented, but FUN event.

OK.

What level program are you talking about?

Our Council has BEAR CAMP. This is for youth entering Bear year. It's a 2 day, 1 overnight event. 1/1 parent to youth ratio is required by National Camp Standards.

There is a suite of NCS for Council operated programs.

As far as program goes, here is our model:

Day 1:

8AM Gates open, units check in. (Camp capacity is 240 in 4 sites, so 120 youth, 120 adults)

1015 AM Opening ceremony at the flagpole, rolls into lunch.

12-1, 115-215, 230-330, 345-445 Program hours:

- BB Guns

- Water Park (we have a custom built water park, all area is Non-Swimmer rated)

- Castle (games)

- Fort (toolbox, rope making)

All activities are matched to requirements in the Bear Advancement Plan.

5-545 Dinner

6-8 Free Time (Trading Post open, water park open, faith talk for Achievement 2, other stuff.

815-Walk to campfire

830-930 Campfire

10 Lights out

Day 2

730 AM breakfast

815-915, 930-1030, 1045-1145, Program

Water Park (yes, on a hot day it's that popular)

Leave No Trace, leathercraft, and an age appropriate low ropes challenge game (oh, the COPE people were mad about that...)

Archery

"The Lost Mine" Physical acvitity, storytelling, games

12-1 Lunch

1-2 Last program hour

2-4 Belt Loops opportunities

4-5 Closing

530 Campers gone.

HTH. If you need to, contact me on FB, and I'll point you to the Camp Director. She's been doing it for 6 years, so she has it down to an art and a science.

Webelos Camp: Can't help you so much, havent' worked it in a while.

Since you mention rocketry----

There are several kinds of rocketry you might experiment with on different days.

I'd had great success lately with "stomp bottle rockets" launched by stomping on a soda pop bottle. These are easy to make and fun. They might be a good project for your first day in camp.

Then go on to other kinds of rockets --- there are lots, capping your camp with some Estes type fire making rockets.

Just a thought----

John,

In the past they have separated it by having the Wolves and Bears one half the week, and Webelos the other half. Low attendance on both events.

This year they are combining everyone into one 1/2 week. The talk is dividing the dens by level, and having advancement specific activities at differnt stations. Possible splitting up sleeping areas too. The CS outdoor committee has been asked to come up with some ideas.

I think the committee may have lost one of its best resources, as he got a new job. Worse part of the situation is we are finally going to implement some of the ideas he has pushed for.

In refernce to supplies, our reservation director is handling that.

SP,

Supply has a very good sale on Estes products right now. My personal favorite are water bottle rockets using 2 plastic bottles, water, and a aircompressor. just need to use balsa wood for fins instead of cardstock.

E92,

The Scout Reservation we use for Cub Camping is now inside the urban area...indeed, it's an island of wilderness being encroached upon by suburbia.

I will caution you we have enough problems with 1/1 ratio even on an overnight/2 day program. Do the kids have enough energy to make more than a 32 hour camp? That's a huge question. Are the parents willing to give time for a 32 hour camp? That's a big question.

I've seen 8 year old exhaustion meltdowns abetted by hot humid weather during Heat Category II. They aren't pretty.

Consider the limits of your audience...