troop visit

One of the things that happens when a Webelos unit visits us is that the guy in uniform is perceived to be the most knowledgeable in scouting. Too often I find myself explaining the Boy Scout program to the person in uniform with the notion that if he gets it he can explain it to the rest of his parents. Even parents get all twisted up in knots about protocol or asking a dumb question and leave the person in uniform to ask all the questions.

Wear the uniform with pride but perhaps explain that you aren't there to represent the Pack's business but to review the unit's program with your boy. Then say those gold words.... "Yes I am willing to help. Boy Scout specific training, why of course". Sigh!

4 years ago, I wore civilian clothes. My idea was I wanted the Troop leadership to explain everything as if I was a parent, not a scouter. I did not want them to skip information presuming I already knew something about scouting. I had Den Leader burnout and was considering taking some time off before volunteering with the troop. My thought was if I wore a uniform, they would presume I was a high probability candidate and would sell me harder.

The troop leader making the presentation to adults that first night did not know me or my history. I got what I wanted from that presentation. Other troop leaders recognized me and introduced me around speaking my scouting resume for me. I was only incognito for a short while.

I also had the idea that if my son was in uniform and I was not, the troop would spend more time courting him and I could fade into the background with the other parents. I wanted my son to pick the troop, not me.

During troop visits for the past month or so, as a troop leader I look for the new parent who looks lost, confused, or worried. I am targeting the non-uniformed parents. They are the ones more likely to not understand Boy Lead vs. Pack Adult Lead.

I have a different take. If you are visiting troops with your son, you are not functioning in a Cubmaster role - therefore, no need to wear the uniform. When my oldest son was in a troop and I was a Cub Scout Den leader, I did not wear my uniform to the troop COHs. I was just "Dad."

Our council holds an annual Eagle Scout (and Venturing Silver) Award dinner every year and asks for "sponsors" to pay for the dinner for themselves and for a Scout. The sponsor should be a business leader who introduces the Scout to a career field of the Scout's choosing. When I attend that function as a sponsor each year, I wear a suit and tie - not my Scoutmaster or Unit Commissioner uniform. A suit and tie is uniform for my function at this event.

Now, no big faux pas either way in my book.