What a fun night...

We found out late Sunday that our Pack would not be able to meet at our regular site due to it being closed for repairs. So.....we do what Scout leaders sometimes do....scrambled and went to plan B. We were actually scheduled to have a pack meeting but one leader made a call to a local volunteer fire department and the Tigers, Wolves, and Bears went there while the WB1 and 2 went to a leaders house for their meeting.

The folks at the fire department did a great job....and of course the boys really enjoyed it and "probably" learned something that will serve them well in the future. As an added benefit.....I noticed the flag pole as I arrived at the meeting and it hit me that this would be a good place to have a quality outdoor flag ceremony as we don't have one where we meet.

And to top it off we had 6 new boys visiting!

On a down note one father brought his kindergarten son.....he received some wrong information about the ages. His son had a fun time at the meeting so hopefully we will get him back next year.

Just thought I would share....I get fired up when the meetings come together.

Alamance,

Excellent! Don't you love it when PLAN B comes together and turns out better than Plan A! Going to the fire station is always one of the best den plans. Our FD has been gracious enough to do an open house at the main fire station every year around this time. I took our Tiger Den last year and the boys absolutely had a blast!

Not only did the station welcome our boys and let them wander around, they took each group through everything in the truck and let them get in the rig and check out all the buttons and toys. Afterwards the boys got to go through the station and sat and had snacks with some of the crew.

Even the Chief of the fire department came and talked to our boys and posed for pictures. Our boys still talk about that event to this day, and ask when we can go back. Of course, what was their favorite part? When the paramedics actually got called on a run and shook the station with all the lights and sirens on their rig going full bore!!

Watching our boys that day, truly made me proud that I was a Cub Scout Den Leader!

Our Fire Department did such a great job hosting the Tigers, that I felt that I had to do something in return. So I went to Sam's an got them enough New York strips to feed the crew. Since they cook their own meals at the firehouse, they appreciated the meat as a foundation for an exceptional meal.

If you borrow this idea, don't make the same mistake I did: I should have left them MY address, in case there's ever a fire.