Well, a solution to my old problem has been found. Now I have a new problem that is a welcome problem, but still a problem.

Because this all happened since summer camp there has been little time to plan. We are starting a new troop. We have the CO, and a SM, CC Treasurer, and 5 older scouts for our Venture crew. 3 boys, 2 girls. Problem. How do we jump start a new troop in recruitment of younger scouts in the Fall? I got a Den Chief into a Pack but bridging is next spring. In order for the Troop to be legit I need about 4-5 scouts. The Venture Crew is good to go with a good start. But the Troop is in severe need of young blood. Any ideas? I need them.

ASM1

Contact realtors and ask if you can put flyers in their offices. Many times, out of area families will search for a home with them and it helps to get the word out. Any school event can be turned into a recruiting event. A simple flyer or person with info and registration sheets will work. Churches,grocery stores, and radio is great. Also, get a local newspaper involved with what you have now and do an article. Marketing is the key to getting recruits even if you have a feeder pack.

Any info with the local chamber of commerce will help too.(This message has been edited by Double Eagle)

Yes to all of your questions. And we have a 26 year old Eagle Scout that will be heading the Venture Crew as an adult leader.

To be completely honest, I even thought of chartering a Cub Pack for recruitment purposes. But my wife reminded me that I am only human and that would be too much to bite off.

ASM1

you may have to wait for the charter if you don't have the scouts, but you do not have to wait to start visiting cub packs. Taking the time to visit shows you care, your troop cares and this goes a long way with cub parents.

Don't be surprised if you get some scouts from your old troop, once the word is out, from the sounds of your old thread, I would guess that now that you are gone, the SM will turn his attention on some other poor family. I hope you didn't burn too many bridges, as those kids will need someplace to go.

The marketing thing is a must. Double Eagle has good clues.

Maybe you could focus on training your existing Scouts as PL's and get them to find members so that they can have a Patrol to lead. Idea was from a 1920's british booklet.

Best of luck on your plan!

Sign up the younger brothers? When selling popcorn, hand out cards with the contact information for your troop. Make a flyer for the school bulletin boards. I like the realtor idea, didn't think of that one. Have a bring-a-friend night and make sure that meeting is tons of fun.

I heard about some older girl scouts hosting a "secret" "just for girls" lockin at a pizza place with games, they got several dozen girls there and THEN told them it was organized by Girl Scouts. Sneaky but several joined - and most said they would not have gone if they'd known it was GS. Sad but true story.

Put notices in the CO newsletter, and in the church newsletters of all the troop members. Contact the kids who dropped out of the old troop shortly after crossing over (I'm betting there were some, just from what you said about the way things were going there.)

thats all I can think of. Good luck, again.