Hiking Belt Loop - The Hiking Safety Rules

The hiking belt loop requires the scout to explain "the hiking safety rules." Are these neatly spelled out anywhere? I can't find them.

Also, hiking attire and equipment - Is there an explanation for this somewhere?

Thanks!

You are going to get a million answers for clothing.

My cubs have hiked 127 miles since September. My Son is approaching 1,000 miles as a bear.

So I have a bit of experience.

Hiking clothing, is what every the weather dictates. Summer shorts and light long sleeve shirt, Winter layers and hats. The thing about gear is the sky is the limit far as cost. I have a tiger that shows up in goretex and I hike in 20 year old wool. They always get a kick out of "cotton kills" Cotton hold moisture and can cause hypothermia.

For a cub leave hike, the boots and cloths they have will be adequete.

Foot wear is personal choice, in winter I hike in hiking boots in the winter and running shoes in the summer. You are going to get the old school boys demanding boots, I have read that every pound on your foot is like 5 in the pack. Running shoes or trail runners for summer.

I have refused to take a boy who was in running shoes on a snowy, wet winter hike.

The funny thing about scouting, especially cub scouting, you can take a class room course that is supposed to prepare you for the outdoors. Heck they will even give you a pretty certificate to prove you were there. But the courses are required if you follow the rules.

I am interested in seeing what the Cub Safety guidelines are.

My suggestion find a local outdoor group, or outdoor store, I am sure they will put on a quality program for your scouts.

From this website

http://usscouts.org/advance/cubscout/sports/hiking.asp

Hiking Safety Rules:

* Always tell someone where you are going and when you will return.

* Never hike alone or at night; always use the buddy system.

* Dress properly for the weather and environment.

* Wear sun and insect protection.

* Take an extra pair of socks in case you need to change.

* Obey traffic signs and signals.

* Avoid hiking along roadways.

* Stay on the trail.

* Be alert to your surroundings.

* Don't litter as you hike.

* Be alert to dangerous animals, insects, and plants. Never touch a wild animal.

* Take 1 pint of water for each hour you will be hiking. Never drink untreated water.

I would agree with "never hike alone", but why "never hike at night"?

Some of the best hikes are night hikes. Our council camp does them all the time with cubs. Its cool to see the stars out on the trail for most city kids. We do it with an adult at the front and one at the rear both with red-lens flashlights and thats it. We have other lights for emergency use, but encourage the scouts to expirience the outdoors in a very different light (so to speak). With a decent moon, you can see well enough to avoid getting lost, twisting ankles, or creeping up on animals (the last has more to do with being quiet, which never happens when hiking with kids).

Not sure why night hiking would be on the do NOT list - other than that list seems to grow with each new publication in BSA land :(

DeanRx

Thanks, everyone, especially Eagle92 who saved me a trip to the Scout store to buy the Academics & Sports Book. I'm going to put these on index cards, pass them out and have the boys read them before we hike.

Yes, love these "safety" rules.

There is not a mention of what to do if you get lost. Seems to me that would be the most important thing of all to teach. Is there some reason that it is left off while "don't litter" is listed as a safety rule?

If you litter, a bear might get mad and attack you!

I like night hikes too. At our last campout, we had a "ABSOLUTELY NO LIGHTS" nite hike. After ...what, maybe 2 minutes...your eyes adjusted to the darkness and you could see way better than having a light which lit up only a tiny area. You could see farther ahead, behind and all around you.

What about fotwear? I know there are no "offical" scout footwear, and totally understand that, but what about hiking? Hiking shoes, some sort of boots with uppers that at least cover the ankle for both protection and support? A heavier sole/ lug pattern for various terrain?

Oh, we did have lights, but only adult leaders in case of an emergency.

And something funy too: Our ACM led the hike. During the short pre hike briefing, he explained to the cub scouts what to expect , etc...and then says:

"If you feel something crawl across your leg, don't bother to scream or run..most stuff only bites once!"

Seven adults changed their minds and decided they couldn't go hiking , while more scouts decided to go!

LMAO!(This message has been edited by scoutfish)

Scoutfish

Hiking boots have a time an place, a Cub hiking a day hike probably isn't one of them.

During the summer I hike in running shoes or trail running shoes. I hike and backpack roughly 1,000 miles year round. Now if we are going out for 3 or 4 days and my pack is heavy I will wear my boots Asolo gtx 520 I think is what I have, but Vasque trailrunners the rest of the time.

If you put a boy in a full leather leather or synthetic leather hiking boot your asking for blisters and hotspots, 90% of boys in the cub age cannot hike in the boots because they are too heavy. I have seen it, 2 miles out and the boy is too tired to pick up his feet.

I had read that every pound on your foot is like 2-5 on your back.

If you are hiking an established trail let them hike in running shoes. Make sure they actually tie them and they fit snug.