Do you need BALOO training for Webelos overnight ??

If you are camping with a scout troop, you are a guest of them and covered.

Now if you were doing den camping alone, you would need OWL ( or WeLOT whatever they are callign it now), but it is not a mandaotry requriement by national at this time.

I say at this time b/c in the very near future (MAY?) national is goign to into a new outdoor trainign course for WDLs, SM, ASMs, and CAs with outdoor programs. So it will be "all in one Training." However BALOO will still be a separate course.

BALOO training is for doing Pack familycamping.

It covers health, safety and planning more than actual camping skills.

I agree with Eagle92 about WLOT - it is not required by national to take a WEBELOS den camping (but I would highly suggest taking it).

If you are camping with a scout troop, you are a guest of them and covered.

I agree with this also.

The mandatory leadership requirements are one registered leader and another adult. For Webelos den camping, there is some flexiblity in the wording, but generally speaking, each boy needs a parent/guardian. You can make an exception where another parent agrees to take responsibility for a boy. IMO, this should be used sparingly, though.

As far as training, the only mandatory training right now is that one person must have YP and someone must have the severe weather training. It is not a pack camping event, so BALOO is not required. Both that and OWL are a good idea, though. I have heard of some councils requiring these for Webelos den camping, though.

As stated earlier, BALOO is NOT REQUIRED by NATIONAL in order to do Webelos DEN (Cub Scouts do not have patrols) camping. Also, NATIONAL strongly suggests, Webelos Outdoor Training, but does NOT REQUIRE it in order to do Webelos den camping. So, per NATIONAL requirements, you really are not REQUIRED to have any type of outdoor training to take your Webelos den camping.

Notice I keep stressing NATIONAL. In many cases councils have added requirements. There are some that DO require either BALOO, and/or Webelos Outdoor training. Check with your local council.

The Cub Scout Leader Book, and the G2SS, both state that Webelos camping should still be parent/son camping. However, exceptions can be made, but EACH Webelos must be under the supervision of a "parent approved adult".

From the BSA Cub Scout Leader Book on who attends a Webelos Den Overnight Campout -

"If a parent or guardian cannot attend, the boys family should make arrangements for one of the other parents or another adult relative or friend to be a substitute at the campout. It is essential that each Webelos Scout is under the supervision of an adult and that every adult has a share of the responsibility for the campout."

TAC requires it. I will be attending an IOLS weekend next month in Belgium. And according to the letter i got there has to be at least one fully Trained Leader on all outings... I can't wait to go to the training.. Last thing to do before Wood Badge..