Flag retirement

Do you intend to retire the flags by fire?

This can be very dangerous as many flags our Troop collects are synthetic and produce a large amount of heat and flame when draped on a campfire/pyre.

Flag retirements can be as simple as reciting the Cub Scout pledge, and with reverence draping a flag over flame.

You could ask your Boy Scout Den chiefs (or other Boy Scouts) to do the actual draping of the flag over the fire (assuming you intend to do it that way), while the Cubs sing a Patriotic song, recite Cub Scout Law, etc...

With Cubs, KIS..."keep it simple" is the best idea. As CM we did several retirements on campouts. In a indoor meeting, you could do a retirement with a "folding ceremony", where several Cubs Ceremoniously remove the flags from a pole, and fold the a final time.

A nicely decorated box to receive the folded flags for a later respectful disposal would be good.

Recover the grommets for recognizing veterans or other significant participants.

Recover some ashes for burial in a revered location (another opportunity for a reverent ceremony).

http://www.flagguys.com/etiq.html

(This message has been edited by dg98adams)(This message has been edited by dg98adams)

We have done numerous flag retirements in our pack. We do one every year at our end of the year campout.

We have done one where the Webelos cut off a strip and placed it in the fire with a Retired member of the Armed forces placing the star section onto the fire.

We did one last year where we had numerous flags to retire so we asked for people in our pack who were former military to please come forward and they were each given a flag to place into the fire.

Our boys have always understood that is a moment of reverance and silence and we have never had any issue with them remaining silent during the entire ceremony(even Tiger Cubs). We do not speak during the ceremony itself but once the flags burn down no more wood is to be laid upon the fire and as it is burning low one of our former military gives a little speech about why we do flag retirements the way we do and how important they are. The grommets are then collected once the fire cools and one is given to each Webelos upon Crossover.

A couple of years ago, I took several ceremonies apart combined the parts that I liked and reworded it so that it was more understandable for elementary age. It has been well received in our area and the boys always show considerable respect...I'll post it below.

Pack 212

Southeast Christian Church

Flag Retirement Ceremony

Items needed: 1 US flag, old, worn, and/or tattered for retirement. 1 pair of large sharp scissors. A modestly burning campfire. 4 or more Adult Leaders or Boy Scouts to handle flag and as many Cub Scouts for reading as may be appropriate.

Sections in red are to be used if the flag is too large to safely retire in one piece.

Prepare fire pit, preferably by lining with ashes from previous retirement. Fire pit should either be a separate one from the campfire or should be the last thing that the campfire is used for that evening. If metal grommets are used, remove them from flag prior to ceremony with scissors.

Light fire and begin ceremony when it is burning sufficiently to not go out.

OPENING:

MC: Please stand. I would ask you to remain silent, standing until the retirement ceremony is over, and the flag is completely burned.

MC: Color Guard advance. (color guard enters to stand behind fire)

MC: We are here tonight to give honor to this flag one final time. It has flown long and proud as a symbol of our nation at Christian Academy of Louisville. The flag is always to be treated with respect. United States Code Title 4, Chapter 1, Section 8 states The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning. As part of this ceremony, we will be separating the flag into four sections for the safety of the color guard. The blue union will kept in one piece, as it represents the fifty states and the union should never be broken. A small amount of ashes have been kept from a previous retirement and are lining the fire to prepare a place of honor for this flag. After this retirement, the ashes from this flag will be buried secretly so they cannot be dishonored and the grommets will be taken to a veterans cemetery and placed at the headstones to honor those who died for our freedom.

MC: Color Guard present the colors. (Color Guard unfolds flag and holds it facing assembly, blue field to stage right)

MC: I was born on June 14th,1777 and the Declaration of Independence is my birth certificate. I am more than just red, white, and blue cloth shaped into a design. I am the shelter of the worlds mistreated people; the silent guardian of freedom. I am the symbol of the greatest nation on Earth; a nation of the people, by the people, for the people. I am strong because of the strength of the American people; their desire to give help to those in need. I try hard for peace yet stand ready to fight cruelty. I feed the starving and offer help to the needy. I defend the freedom of those who desire it and offer a home to anyone who will pledge allegiance to me. I have led your sons and daughters from Valley Forge to the Arabian Peninsula. I have flown at Gettysburg, Flanders, Normandy, Korea, and Vietnam and I fly today in Iraq and Afghanistan. I have protected the weak and the innocent in dozens of nation. I covered in silence each of your honored dead taking them in my embrace to their final resting place beneath the rows of white crosses. I fly over you schools, your homes, and your churches. I even stand on the moon, as a

symbol of what this great nation is able to do when united in purpose. I have flown through peace and war, difficulty and success. Honor me, respect me, and defend me with your lives and everything that you have. Never let my enemies tear me down from my high place lest I never return. Keep alight the fires of patriotism; keep alive the spirit of democracy. Worship Eternal God, keep His commandments, defend freedom and justice; and God willing I shall remain in freedom for the rest of my days.

MC: Scout salute! MC: Please join me is saying the pledge to this flag one final time.

(say pledge)

(If necessary for safety, Scouts separate flag into four pieces with one cut vertically and one cut horizontally during the following. Keep the union in one solid piece to be burned last)

MC or Scout 1: I have 13 stripes which represent the 13 colonies, which stood defiantly for freedom and became the first states.

MC or Scout 2: The red reminds us of the blood of patriots and heroes who have died for our freedom.

MC or Scout 3: The white represents the purity that is in all our hearts and the honor deep inside our soul.

MC or Scout 4: My 50 stars represent the 50 states, which make up our great nation.

MC or Scout 5: My blue field stands for truth and justice under Gods heaven, which binds our union together.

MC: Do not grieve for this flag, for it has served our nation proudly. It is deserving of retirement with the honor and respect, which we now give.

MC: Honor guard retire the colors!

(The honor guard now places the flag or pieces of the flag in the fire, lowering the center into the flames and folding the corners inward to the fire. If the flag has been separated, burn the union last)

(Once the flag is completely aflame and the fire begins to burn down) MC: Two!

MC: Color guard dismissed!

MC: Pack dismissed!

(after the fire has gone out, collect some ashes to keep for the next ceremony, and secretly bury the remainder of the ashes so that they cannot be desecrated)