Pack Overnight Trip and Crossed Over Webelos

Looking to see how other Packs and Troops handle this.

We historically have crossed the Webelos over to the Troop at the Blue and Gold Banquet in February or March.

This years Pack overnight trip will be late April 2010.

What issues might we face if the just crossed over Scouts attend?

Mark

Why would they WANT to attend..they are (or could be) Boy Scouts now?

The Blue and Gold is a ceremony recognizing Webelos II's (primarily), if they have not signed up with a Troop, they are still Cubs, after the Blue and Gold. Once Webelos II's cross-over (meaning they joined a troop) they are not Cubs.

IMO if you let Webelos cross-over to "nothing" just to cross at the Blue and Gold, then it's a dis-service to the Webelos that joined a Scout Troop at the Blue and Gold.

We have always operated on that schedule, and the Webelos that crossed over never attend the April trip with the Pack. They are now Boy Scouts, and I would be surprised if they wanted to attend the Pack trip. They will most likely be camping with their Troop, at that point.

Thanks for the replies.

Basically, the boys have fund raised for the trip but now will be Boy Scouts on the date that we were able to reserve for the trip.

I should have used former Webelos in my last sentence of my question.

I totally agree with:

"IMO if you let Webelos cross-over to "nothing" just to cross at the Blue and Gold, then it's a dis-service to the Webelos that joined a Scout Troop at the Blue and Gold."

But that does not apply to my question.

What kind of Pack overnighter is it that you had to do extensive fundraising for?

Have any of the families paid a down payment of any kind?

Do you have Cub Scout accounts?

Do any of the families have younger Scouts?

Have you checked the calendar of the Troop(s) they are planning on going into to see if their Troop will be camping at the same time? Keeping a brand new Scout from bonding with his Patrol mates on his first Troop camping trip is not a good idea.

[ You really have to have thick skin to post a question on these forums. Half the "answers" are usually accusations of poor training... ]

Our Spring campout is also after our B&G and bridging. We invite the families to attend if they would like. A few of the (actually now Boy Scout) WII's attend (with their families), mostly because they enjoyed camping with us, want a last family campout, etc. We do a lot of Cub Scout Family Camping, and the boys have a very good time. Often the whole family has enjoyed camping with us for 5 years and wants one more family campout.

The boys who attend with us must bring a parent (and may bring both parents and siblings) just as if the campout was a few months earlier. They sometimes have come in BS uniforms, but they follow our Cub Scout guidelines.

'What issues might we face if the just crossed over Scouts attend?'

Confused scouts who may think that cub scouts is more for them.

A weakness to accept their new patrol as their new unit.

An issue of others scouts in the troop considering them as unready and too immature for Boy Scouts.

"The Blue and Gold is a ceremony recognizing Webelos II's (primarily)"

Where are you finfing this at. I always thought that the purpose of the B&G was to celebrate the birthday of the Cub Scouts.

WHere does it say that you HAVE to cross the Webelos at the B&G

Why not take them camping in March or April. You can go through and see if the troop is camping the same weekend, have a nice outdoor ceremony. Let them camp with the pack on Friday night, cross over at the campfire on Saturday night and camp with the troop on Saturday night as part of their first Troop campout.

It might even mean a little more to the Webelos if you give them a ceremony that is theirs, and not thrown into the B&G