Cub Scout knife changes?

This thread brought back to me a nostalgic look at my youth, one that is gone, and one that my son won't be allowed to have. I had the same experience with firearms and knives as a some of the other posters.

I myself much prefer a 3 or 4 inch blade sheath knife for a lot of reasons. However, the local council has expressly prohibited them.

About 200 miles from me is a tourist town that has a knife shop. They stock many low quality knives for $5 or $6. Sadly the metal used in many knives just doesn't hold the edge. The other sad thing in this era is that it has to have lots of extra useless fold out gizmos.

I've owned a buck 110 for a long time.

It is unfortunate that some councils have taken the position on prohibiting sharp blades in certain circumstances. It really goes a long way to inhibit much of what the boys can do when out camping, hiking, etc. once they reach the Boy Scout level.

I have the old BSA combo sheath knife/belt axe that I wear often to council activities that may require it's useage (fire building, camp setup, for example). My tools make one's task far easier than the modern alternatives. With BSA stamped clearly on the sheath, sheath snaps, axe head and knife blade, it makes it difficult to argue prohibition of such items at a scout activity.

When I am in an area where such tools are not prohibited, I have a non-BSA combo that is lighter in weight than the BSA tools and wears easier on the belt than the older equipment.

Such prohibitions have always amazed me. Next thing they will prohibit are old Cub Scout knives because they don't lock open.

Tools are only as safe as the person using them. Train the boys and they can experience many of the exciting things their dads and granddads did when they were kids. My "Hunters' Safety" course was taught to me by my dad. My camping skills were taught to me by my dad. My campfire cooking skills were taught to me by my dad. Young scouts today can only dream about a childhood experience that I and many of the older people on the forum had because more and more the scout activities are being designed around the judicial system, not the scouting system.

Stosh