Shooting Sports Program Book

Does anyone have an E-copy of the Shooting Sports for Cub Scouts, Webelos Scouts, and Parents in Camp (No. 13-550,)

We are in some planning stages of several camps and I was wondering if anyone had a copy of this that I could have for my computer.

Cub shooting sports are supposed to only take place at District and Council Events/Ranges.

http://www.macscouter.com/advance/cubscout/sports/BBgun.asp

"BB-gun shooting, is a camp program. Boys can earn BB-gun recognition items only at council/district day camp, resident camp, or council-managed family camping programs

BB-Gun programs are not permitted at den and pack activities."

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/ageguides.pdf

Your language suggests you might be a program director, have you been to national camp school.(This message has been edited by Basementdweller)

OK OK OK for all those that must know before I have access to the secret book

I am serving on a council committee that has a primary responsibility of getting Cub Scouts outdoors camping again. We are the Cub Scout Outdoor Activity Committee.

I am an events organizer for council activities. I am working on a Family Camp Weekend right now and plan on putting together som speciality weekends in the future to attract Cub scouts back to day camp.

No I have not been to NCS. Have not had the money or the time. I am not trying to replace a NCS director, but there are so few in the council we are doing what we can to get by.

Why is it when someone askes for some kind of reference or help the first things half of the responses are asking is WHY ARE YO NOT NCS Certified. I can only wish that we were in the councils that some are here whee there is an abundance of leaders that have copious amounts of time and money to go and get all this training. We are improvising and working with the hand that we are dealt.

So if there is something that excludes me from obtaining the information that is contained in the book about Cub Scout Shooting sports then so be it. I guess I will just have to try and guess even more.

As for BB Gun and Archery range officer training, we will be having that in Late October/November. But that does not help us right now.(This message has been edited by SctDad)

In 4H, youth can start shooting at age 9. I don't know what the big deal is????

I've always found that the even the most difficult child (Scout) becomes very attentive and interested when learning to shoot.

Sorry to hijack the thread, wish I had the booklet to send you. I'll bet that it's copy righted and you have to pay for it, but I there I go again, hijacking the thread.

Signed ASM, NRA Rifle & Shotgun Instructor/RSO and 4H Certified Rifle & Shotgun Instructor

Sctdad,

Reason folks get defensive about the Shooting Sports topic is b/c 1)it is a restricted activitiy and 2) most people who ask for info are doing so in order to violate G2SS and conduct pack events, which can be a safety issue. Most of the time people who are running events like ours have either been A) trained and/or B) doing it for years, so they already have the info.

Let's face it our council is a little behind on the famcamps planning. Luckily we got a great group who are putting things together this year, and I don't know about you, But I am already getting ideas for next year.

Thx for the link.

Musta hit a sore spot with the question. That was not my intention, just asking a question.

Your council should pay for you to go to Camp School, You are holding a difficult and time consuming position.

IMHO the entire BB, Archery Sling Shot thing with BSA is ridiculous. My son has been shooting and hunting since about 5 years old. But you need to remember we are dealing with city folks.

A question to the group. What is your Personal liability holding a position your not trained for ans something happens? Are you covered by BSA's insurance?

BasementDweller

Sorry if I came across harsh. It just seems like a lot of times someone asks a question about planning some kind of event, the first thing that everyone asks is why you are not trained. Like the only person allowed to make any of the plans are those that have been to NCS or NRA Training programs. It seems like if you have never had any of the high cost specialized, then you should not be planning anything above a pack overnighter.

That is just the way some of the people here come across.

Sctdad,

Most of the scouting addicts like ourselves will somehow be tapped to go to NCS. BUT it does come with a caveat: council will ask you to work your butt off (like that is really a problem anyway ;) ) I'ld talk to your DE about it. Only problem this year is this: if you are doing WB, you cannot make it this year as the nearest CS NCS is the same weekend as WB.

SSScout - You Totally Rock! I've been looking for that for a while. My course instructor alluded to it, but didn't have it and neither did my DE.

As for info on Top Gun, as I learn more I'll share. I understand it is a district BB Gun competition. I took the training to be able to prep my den for camp and top gun, now I'm slated to be a range officer at Top Gun! Careful who you let know what training you have!