Webelos excitment

Background, I've been on the troop committee for several years now, back in July the Cubmaster approached myself and a ASM I get along with very well, to head up the Webelos den in the fall, thought we would have 5 boys. Last time I had anything to do with Webelos was when I was one in 1970, the ASM when his boy went through bout ten years ago. We said yes and for my part I had hoped to prep the boys better for if/when they joined the troop. This week I found out there will only be 2 boys and one of them is new to scouting.

What I need is some activitys that could bring those lost Bears back on board. They seem immune to what adults have said so I figure the only way is to have them hear about all their missing from those still in the program.

So far they will help out with flag raising at the highschool football game, in October the Pack has the Rocket Derby, and a five block walk and visit to a recreation of a railroad depot in a long time train engineer's backyard, and I don't mean the toy/hobby stuff. I saw the pumpkin throwing in Scouter, could make table top ones to throw ping pong balls or practice golf balls.

These are Web1 boys so I would be very thankfull for ideas that have worked well for you, ones that they talk about years later.

My goal is to have 6 boys in the den by the new year, either new or returns. Neither of us is a natural leader so we have less leeway for mistakes. We do have a wide range of techinical skills to offer, including astronomy, electronics and Ham radio, metal working, fieldcraft, aquatics and boating. Plus we both know experts localy to cover topics we are weak in like art.

TIA

(This message has been edited by prairie)

Tough place to start as DL!

Things my son (who is now 17) remembers:

> Going to the archaeology lab (on an Army base) and helping wash and sort artifiacts

> NBA game (had to drive four hours)

> "Spelunking" in a cave at the Natl Park

> Wild foods walk led by a Park Ranger

> Kite Derby

> Building a catapult we drove around in the back of my jeep

> Our Hikes

> Building a den "totem"

> Ceremonies

> Adopting a wolf at the local zoo

I would try contacting the "lost" Bears and ask them and their parents why they didn't transition an what would make them reconsider.

Good luck with you new Den!

Many years ago, when Webelos was a one year program,(and we did not have all the safe scouting rules for cub scouts) we took the Webelos canoeing down a local river for their first den meeting of the year. We were on the river for less than two hours, and then stop to cook dinner. One of the Webelos said "This sure beat making things out of macaroni!"

I have been the Webelos Coach for the last 20 years or so for our feeder pack. I really enjoy the Webelos, and I think you will too. Cut back on Den Meeting, have lots of field trip. Take them swimming, camping with the Boy Scouts, get a Den Chief. Have fun and the scouts will too!

Take them camping - let them build fires and use knives. Let them pick a patrol name and make an emblem and flag.

My guys are very excited. We went camping last month and they all got to build a fire. We'll be going again next month and then probably not again until spring, but are planning to camp every month the weather is reasonable.

The parents and I (I'm den leader and have a son in the den as well) are very much in agreement that we're preparing the boys for Boy Scouts and working on those skills and letting the boys have a little control and the chance to pursue some leadership.

Move away from crafts, etc. and make it clear that being a Webelos involves some perks and some additional responsibility.

Great ideas!

With some slight mods I know have these posibilitys.

Go see a minor league baseball game, three parks with in nintey miles.

Kite day, enjoyed that as a cub.

Hikeing, we have a nice rails to trails path for starters.

Catapult

Intro to snorkeling/scuba only 45 miles away.

Got my eye on a Den Chief, we will see how that works out.

I plan to keep the crafting to a minium, meet outside when possible, avoid acting like a school teacher, utilize local tallents and never underestemate what they can do.

Praire, I think you are on the right track. Here is something my husband is planning with his WebII boys: Check out this book (my local library has a copy) Backyard Ballistics: Build Potato Cannons, Paper Match Rockets, Cincinnati Fire Kites, Tennis Ball Mortars, and More Dynamite Devices by William Gurstelle.

Good luck.

Success at eh Pack meeting, who knew trying to bounce a pair of racket balls into a box could be so much fun! Just told them the point of the game and let them go, quite proud when they reliased they needed to take turns.

Already thinking up the next fum game for October.

• 2 weeks later...

What I left out of my last post was the fact none of the boys who showed up were Webelos and it was a short turnout, when they didn't show up for the den meeting Monday night I called one mother who said he had to many things to do. Couldn't get the other to answer the phone, drove over there last night with his Rocket Derby kit only to find out from his mother he had lost intrest too.(This message has been edited by prairie)

Prairie, sounds tough. One thing that I think helped with my den. One night both my Webelos 1 and the other Webelos 2 were working Craftsman in Sanday school rooms separated by a slide across divider. The W2's were industriously working on their curio shelves, when one that peeked through the curtain at my guys. The cry went up, "Hey they're making rubber band guns". Most of W2's have faded away, the rubber band gunsmiths are still around (and occasionally do a flag ceremony with an honor guard armed with rubber band guns.)

Hi there. I have been reading on here for awhile, and thought I would post. This is my second year as a WB2 leader. I got volunteered. LOL. My boys seem to have the most fun with marshmellow catapualts. sucking and egg into a jar. For the outdoorsman we have a great relationship with the boy scout troop and we are going on our overnight with them. Get in good with the Boy scout troops in your area and they will provide a Den Chief. The boys always like an older boy helping them out.

"Take them camping - let them build fires and use knives. Let them pick a patrol name and make an emblem and flag."

I always recomend fire and knives. Makes things very exciting! (Just be sure to follow the Guide to Safe Scouting)

One of our big Webelos activities we do every October is a Rocket Rally. We purchase simple kits en-masse from a local hobby store for under $5 each. Dens and families decorate and assemble the kits and then have a day of rocket launching. The purchase price includes two small motors. We also have several rocket enthusiasts from the regional club show up and they launch multiple small to large rockets (usually including a 6'er with a G or H motor!).

Yes, fire, knives and real rockets. Really keeps you on your toes.