Who Pays for Belt loops in your pack?

We have had disagreements over this in our pack. At one time, we had a den leader who started giving out lots of belt loops and pins, whereas others had not been doing that. So, the committee chair pushed through a vote to limit it to 3 per boy. However, later we got a new committee chair and it went back to buying all of them. We did eventually raise our yearly dues, which has helped.

I really think it is the pack's responsibility to pay for awards out of whatever funds have been raised, and if they can't they need to find new ways to raise the funds rather than nickle-and-diming the parents.

I have been going over the expenses for our pack and I have to say most awards/pins/patches are in the $1 to $2 plus range. I would calculate what the average you give out per year is and ADD that back to your dues. And TELL the parents that. Say we give each scout (example) 15 awards per year, they are 2.00 each and we are adding the $30 back to the dues.

Dont even ALLOW the fairness of it, ie Johnny gets more merits, yadda yadda. As I tell my kids life isnt fair. I even have a life isnt fair song and dance (which my kids HATE and I love!!!)

Scouter760 wrote:

"We have had disagreements over this in our pack. At one time, we had a den leader who started giving out lots of belt loops and pins, whereas others had not been doing that. So, the committee chair pushed through a vote to limit it to 3 per boy. However, later we got a new committee chair and it went back to buying all of them. We did eventually raise our yearly dues, which has helped.

I really think it is the pack's responsibility to pay for awards out of whatever funds have been raised, and if they can't they need to find new ways to raise the funds rather than nickle-and-diming the parents. "

A couple of things with this line of thought:

1) Do you really want to set-up a situation that you "punish" a scout for making achievements? I don't see how a pack can say, we'll pony up for 3 Belt Loops, but poor Johnny that busted his hump @ Day camp and earned 8 belt loops, well his parents better pay up or he won't get his awards.... Huh?

2) I agree that the pack should find ways to pay for awards (they should budget for it). However, in doing so - the pack should also be able to set expectations with regards to participation in unit fundraising.

I have a hard time believing that the scout that is earning 12 belt loops a year isn't selling any popcorn.

Most of the scouts that are "go-getters" about the belt loop / pin program are the same ones that are "go-getters" in selling for fundraisers. Whether this is by their own doing, or via pushing by the parents.

It seems those that earned the most for the pack are also likely to be the most involved in pack activities and thus see the greatest "return on invenstment" ROI for their hard work in fundraising.

As far as nickle and diming the parents - its as easy as giving them the choice. Hey, either you help your son sell for our unit fundraiser, or you can expect to buy x, y, z throughout the year for Pack activities b/c its no longer included in pack dues.

I think funding for earned awards (of all types) trumps all other spending in a Pack. If the scout does the requirements and EARNS the award, they should have it GIVEN to them as a member of the pack. Period.

If this means everyone pays for each PWD kit, and pays cash out of pocket for camping trips, day camp etc... so be it.

Everything can be pay-to-play except those items that are EARNED. Awards are earned - if the pack cannot support the scout, how can the scout grow?