scout placement

I recently came across a situation, that when I tried to fix, the mother became extremely belligerent with me. I have a scout, that recently joined the boyscout troop that I am affiliated with. She sent me an e-mail that they were new to scouting, so I e-mailed her back (no phone number provided initially), giving her the information for both cubscouts and boyscouts, to determine where her son would go. She responded back, informing me that he was 13 yrs old, which would make him a boyscout in the troop, which is where we put him. We received the application back, and were inputting his information into scouttrack, when it was noted that he wasn't 13, but was in fact only 11. And, he JUST this past month turned 11 and is only starting 5th grade. This would make him a Webelo 2. Well I called mom to inform her of this, and she literally blew up stating that she was not putting him in babyscouts, and that he would continue in boyscouts because it would mentally detrimental to his health, and she will have someone's a.... for this harm being done to her son. What do I do?? I know that he needs to be with the cubscouts, as he hasn't completed 5th grade or earned his AOL. Can anyone advise. I have directed her to council DE to address this.

If you look at the joining requirements, if he's eleven, he can join Boy Scouts. Pretty simple.

However, you might want someone else to have a chat with his mother about staying with the boys in his grade and how he can cross over into Boy Scouts in the spring. This would give him an opportunity to bond with peer group.

However, if mother and son want Boy Scouts, you have two choices: accept it or drive them away.

Just my thoughts.(This message has been edited by Gold Winger)

GW's right. 10 1/2 & AOL or Graduate 5th OR 11 years old. If the mom wants him to be in Boy Scouting, no problem.

You might want her to learn the 12 points and what HONEST means (13?). But other than that, tell the SM to be careful, she might be looking for someone to file suite on...

Rick

Thanks all for the comments. I deferred the original issue to council, and they went with allowing him into the troop. However, a can of worms is now opened. I have one Webelo that is currently in the cubscout program and is 11, and another Webelo who is 10 1/2 turning 11 in 2 wks (and in 4th grade). Now that they have learned 11 is a boyscout, they want to pull these 2 boys out of the cubscouts and place them in the affilitated boyscout troop only. Not give boys and parents the option of visiting other troops. Any thoughts? Thanks.

"they want to pull these 2 boys out"

"They" who?

The joining requirements for Boy Scouts are not new.

The decision of where to put boys who meet both the joining requirements for Boy Scouts and Webelos (no such thing as a Webelo) is ONLY with the parents. NOT with council, Pack, or Troop.

This whole thing could have been avoided is the parents had been up front with you, and if your Troop had a knowledge the BSA joining requirements.

ScoutNut's right...

The choice lays w/ the family of the scout.

However - I take issue with there is no 'Webelo'. It is the singular form of 'Webelos'... otherwise the plural of 'Webelos' would be what?

Webeloi ? :) Just kidding....

As for the other scouts, I'd talk to them about staying with their Webelos 2 Den. Remind them that they can't earn the AOL once they bridge over to Boy Scouts. Do they want to give up that opportunity just to race ahead to something that will be waiting for them when the time comes?

If you are associated with the Pack (as your screen name suggests), be glad this mother is taking her 11 y/o to Boy Scouts - you don't need the headache in your pack !!

Actually, "webelo" really ISN'T a word- "WE'll Be LOyal Scouts" if you take of the 'S' at the end, it kinda looses it's meaning, don't you think?

Anyways, sure they cubs CAN go right to boys scouts whenever they want! BUT they will miss out on AOL, various troop visits, all the cub stuff where the adults do stuff for them, the pinewood derby, heck even a big crossing over ceremony depending with all the EOY bells and whistles.

Regardless, it's up to the parents. Whether we agree with thier choice or not!