Every time I see questions like this, (one common one is - "What should I bring to a party whose invitation states, "No gifts, please") I always wonder, "Why not respect the person's stated wishes?"

I can completely relate to the original subject. I do not need or want any recognition for my financial contributions to my unit. I would be highly irritated if my unit spent money on me instead of on activities for the boys. I detest all manner of Scout doodads.

The only suggestion so far that I would have any appreciation for would be a (simply) framed picture of the boys, preferably in action.

GregNelson hits the nail squarely on this one.

If the guy states he doesn't want any recognition, then why are you spending your time on how to recognize him?

If you want to honor him and his donation, then spend your energy coming up with ways to put his $$ to the best use !! That's more than likely the kind of priase he's after anyways. He wants to know his money is going to be used in a meaningful way for the good of the group.

A simple Thank You card from the one or two or few people "in the know" with a brief description of how the donation will be utilized is all that is needed. Also offer a letter (for tax purposes) in the note. A picture (or small collage) of the scouts in action would be a nice gesture, but anything more goes against his stated intentions.

Best not to look this pony in the mouth - so to speak...

Always remember that a good deed is it's own reward. Trying to put this person into the light might & often have the opposite effect that you intended. It really is an insult to people when you try to repay them for a good deed. I know it truly irks me when it happens to me.

How about setting up the "John Smith Foundation" that takes the $$'s one would give "John" as a token of appreciation and put into a special fund that would give $$ assistance to scouts that otherwise couldn't afford stuff, outings, etc. The system would be an enduring remembrance of "John's" generosity.

Foundation could be set up under the umbrella of "...because of all you have done for the Pack!" This would then be a fund that would available for anyone else so inclined to contribute to.

Stosh

This person is easily embarrassed and doesn't like his name in public, but I don't think that doesn't mean a small token of appreciation that's not public wouldn't be a nice gesture.

Last Christmas I etched glass mugs with the fleur de lis for every leader and committee member. The mugs were less than $3 at Walmart. I think they were very well received.

I know this person has collected patches for quite some time. Finding some neat ones and giving them as "I thought of you when I saw this", instead of "for your donation" might be nice.

My $.02 worth. If he asked for no public recognition for the donations, please honor his wishes. We had a major FOS donor who diod not want to be singled out. FOS dinner was fine, Norman Rockwell print that was part of the FOS package, fine, But being singled out, NO WAY.

Well my FOS chair, who knew and worked with the donor decided that he would present the donor his Heritage Society recognitions, i.e James e. West Knot with Society device, plaque, etc, at the FOS dinner. The donor was not happy, but fortunately knew the FOS chair and realized the chair did it spur of the moment and I had no part in it.

The photos are good. Another idea is to invite him to camp with the unit and COHs, especially ECOHs. One of the units I started has a major contributor and the invite him to all campouts (he tries to attedn 1/year), attend mosts COHs, and has not missed an ECOH since they started getting Eagles 2 years ago (he's 4/4 and in all likelyhoo 5/5 after this weekend). Best part is, with the exception of those leaders who work for him, no one would recognize him onthe street.

Another idea that an old troop of mine did was Christmas caroling. This troop would load up everyone on a bus, and go to the nursing home and then to specific houses of people who have helped out the troop during the year, and sing Christmass carols. Great way to say thank you, great publicity for Scouting, and really gets people into the Christmas spirit.

I'd honor his stated wish by not singling him out. That said, I'd also given him a framed photo of the boys. It can be done privately with no one involved who does not already know or it can be done publicly but no mention of his financial role can be mentioned. I'd tell him that the photo was just the boys way of thanking him.

-Robert(This message has been edited by docrwm)