Service hours for 1st Class, Star, Life

I'm not sure I totally agree with Ed, but I sure like the fact that his scouts are doing a lot more service projects and hours. Doing only Eagle projects can limit the scout's exposure to all the ways community service is needed. A scout can easily get 6 hours of service from one Eagle project work day.

Some troops in our area give the boys service hours for working the fall Cub campout. While I will encourage my son to work the Cub events, I think we do that because we are part of scouting (a big family). I guess that's where Ed is coming from about the hours for other's Eagle projects. I also want to encourage him to do other service projects. At least at the younger ages the boys love to help other people. We need to get them in the habit while they are young.

Quixote, service hours up through Life can aid the BSA and therefore I would "count" it unless it was also used for something else. However, I discourage using this type of service hours for rank advancement. What I try to do, many times unsuccessfully, is instill the idea that service to others is done because it is the right thing to do, not because it helps to advance rank, fulfill religious requirements, looks good, etc. These are nice fringe benefits but not really what service is all about. Many in the troop feel like they just have to "put in the time" at the Can Food Drive, Camp Clean-Up, etc. to get their box checked. My Cub Scout den does as much service work at the troop I belong to, in terms of time, and they are "required" to do very little.

While our troop does not count Den Chief for service hours (it is a troop position), it does count CS Day Camp Counseling. They also accept working in Vacation Bible School, band camp assistance, etc., as long as the boy gets prior approval. Our boys really look forward every year to "Work Party Weekend", where they help the local Girl Scouts clean up their camp for summer. Their reward for all their hard work is not only credit hours but a dance put on by the girls. What more could a guy ask for? The OA fellows do camp cleanup for our Council before and after summer camp. (No service hours credited - it's the honor and duty of the OA members) The really neat thing in my opinion is that our Life Scouts are very active in all these areas still, when they can't gain any advancement credit. Obviously they must enjoy it, and all that previous service hour credit gaining had an excellent effect.