I guess they just haven't taken off in our area. Not just our Pack.

I like the idea of the tan fishing vests.

But we have a hard enough time getting them in official uniform to ask parents to shell out for vests.

There are trophies given out at the parade. The boys get excited over the competition with the girl scouts. I guess I thought looking uniform without the vests would be preceived better.

the fishing vests are a great idea- we just couldn't find any that weren't the 'shorty' vests, and we ahve some tall kids! You can buy them at Wal-Mart, among other places, for about $15.

it hasn't really taken off in our area, either, but we saw it on another pack and liked the idea. For the past few years, only the Webelos were encouraged to get them, but it sounds like you all have the younger kids wearing them too? maybe i can plant that seed around here...

As I posted above, my Pack makes the red brag vests for all of our boys. While I do like the fishing vest idea, and they did look nice, $15 dollars would make 7-10 felt vests.

We give a vest to all of our new Scouts from Tigers thru Webelos. With the vest they get a round Council patch which is put on the center of the back. For every event they attend they receive a small, curved, segment patch that goes around the council patch. If they start as a Tiger, and are very active, by the time they cross to Boy Scouts their vest can have 6 to 8 rings of patches on the back, and lots of other patches on the front. Very colorful, and a great keepsake for all they have done as a Cub Scout. Many boys will display their vests, with the rest of their Scout memorabilia, at their Eagle COH.