Pack Committee questions

The only person who is allowed by BSA to be registered in more than one position is the Charter Organization Representative. The COR can only be dual registered as either the Committee Chair or a Committee Member.

I still say you need to get to know the Pack's program, and these folks, and let them get to know you, before you start taking over positions, or making changes. You stated you did not want to step on any toes. Telling them that they are doing a sloppy job, and offering to take over, will definitely step on toes.

Take it slow.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know about the "voting members" of the Pack Committee? I was told that not all parents who attend the meeting are voting members and that the Cubmaster is not a voting members. Can anyone shed any light on this or show me where in an official BSA publication I can find the correct information?(This message has been edited by FargoNDSR)

"Voting member" is exactly a person officially registered with BSA as a member of the committee-MC (including Pack Trainer-PT- and Committee Chair-CC). It does not include Den Leaders or the Cubmaster, nor does it include non-registered parents. This is clearly stated in the Cub Scout Leader Handbook.

This "concrete" answer may spark discussion, but let me interject before this gets taken the wrong way. Whatever your Charter Organizaion Rep allows/encourages/facilitates should work. Our "pack committee" generally consists of what others would call a "leaders meeting," with parents invited (one or two show up at most every month). And yes, we meet the same day a week after Roundtable. We have a set agenda, and loosly follow parlimentary proceedure; anything is open for discussion (new business), and in 4 years, only once have we had the need to vote on anything. That was the purchase of a new Pinewood Derby track, timer and software--a large purchase; as we had been saving for years to purchase it, it was unanimous decision.

If things are going well with you pack, I can hardly imagine anything which would require a formal vote. If there are leaders demanding a vote, I only see that as a divisive tool and a danger to the pack's well being. If you have issues that require voting, look at why this is necessary. In my opinion, a well run pack should not have these kind of issues.

Buffalo Skipper has it right...

The "voting" members are those that are REGISTERED adults with BSA in the pack. You can have as many registered adults as you want. However, you must pay ($10 or whatever annually) to BSA and they MUST do the online fast start training and YPG (so they know the rules of the road).

The CM is definately excluded from "voting" status. The DL's may or may not vote depending upon the pack and its size.

The COR and CC are voting members and the CC runs the show (as far as adult meetings / planning goes). The CC should be the one to set the agenda with input from other committee members.

It was made EXTREMELY clear at my on-site CM training:

1) CC and Committees PLAN the PROGRAM

2) CM Implements the PLAN for the unit

I have had to explain this several times to folks in the Pack that come to me as the CM and want me to "rule" on an issue, or cast the "deciding" vote, or issue a VETO on an issue.

As CM, I am a ringleader to youth, a showman, a class clown...

I (unlike our current President) am NOT the decider. That is the committee's job. I have input and they usually listen, but if push comes to shove, we do what the committee wants.

To answer the OP's question - the CC should set the agenda. We allow for public comments and any and ALL parents are welcome. However, we do ask that any major "new" business be e-mailed to the CC PRIOR to the meeting so that it can be included in the agenda for planning and time constraint purposes. If we can fit in public comment we do, but if the meeting is running too long we might ask that the issue be tabled and added as an offical agenda item for the following month - but that would be a rare occurance. We don't have a seperate DL meeting, just the committee meeting.

Usual suspects for attendance:

CC, CM, ACM, DL's, Pack Trainer, Treasurer (maybe), ad hoc planning members (B&G, PWD, Campouts, etc), any other registered committee memebrs, and any scout parents that want to sit in.

Thank you Dean Rx and Buffalo Skipper for your replies. Unfortunately, I cannot find this answer in the Cub Scout Leader Book. Could you point me to the page that says this? I am looking at 33221 (2007 printing). Sorry to be such a pest but this situation requires a here it is in writing solution.

FargoNDSR

Sorry, I do not have my CSLH with me, and I I have a campout this weekend. I will try to get you answer "from the book" by early next week. If anyone else can find this exact reference in the meantime, that would be great...(This message has been edited by Buffalo Skipper)

FargoNDSR, you are not going to find any information on "voting members of a Pack Committee" in any BSA publication. It is not there because a Pack Committee, and the leaders in a Pack do NOT VOTE!

Instead, in "The Cub Scout Leader Book" you will find plenty of references to "discussing", and "working together as a team". Read the chapters on Leadership (The Leadership Team) and Program Planning (Annual Pack Program Planning Conference - and - Monthly Pack Leaders Planning Meeting).

I recommend that the leaders in your Pack get trained, starting with the online Fast Start Training.

I have been to training and have even taught the course. The original reason for my question is because I am preparing a session for our POW WOW about building a strong Pack Parent Committee. In doing my research, I ended on this (http://www.usscouts.org/cubscouts/cspack.asp) website and that's where I encountered the voting member business. I had never even heard of it before, therefore my question. Is this just someone's interpretation of how Scouting should work or is it based in fact. My feeling is every parent should have a say in how the pack runs, building a team for the good of the program.

Fargo-

Sorry, but its in no publication that I know of either. It was, hoever, highly emphasized at TWO seperate CM trainings I've attended. Both of which were conducted by two different Districts.

Our common practice is discuss and come to a consensus.

We also have drafted written bylaws for the pack and if an impass is reached, the "voting" method is stated in our bylaws.

You can have whoever you want vote or not vote (I would guess), I (as the CM) just don't want to be the veto man, the tie-breaker, etc.... b/c 1) that makes sense, 2) I have enough other headaches, 3) thats the way I was trained-up by my district / council.

I say draw up pack by-laws that everyone can agree to. Advocate for discussion and compromise, but have in your by-laws the PROCEDURE for voting should the need arise. Have the rules of the road ahead of time, so no cries of bias can be made to the process.

Hopefully, it would never come to that. But there's a saying somewhere about being prepared I seem to remember ?!?!

As for District / Council / National policy on the subject. Don't hold your breath. They probably look at this as an individual unit's governing issue. They don't like to step in on unit level business unless it involves the removal of core adult leadership due to unethical, immoral, or illegal actions on the part of the adult leader.

Good luck-

DeanRx