Need Help with some Bylaws

I have been look at some of the issues that we are running into with with our cubscout pack. I am looking for some examples of By-laws or some other type of rules that might help me with setting standards in reference to things like fundraisers and how the funds will be used.

Example: We are using a flagpole set raffle for a fund raiser. I have told all the parents that for every boy that sells 50 tickets (@ $2 each) we will pay for their registration at the end of the year. I have also said that if we sell 300 of the 500, after we draw the winner, we will draw another, findout which boy sold that ticket, and give him a free trip to day camp this fall. 400 Tickets Sold 2 Scouts to Daycamp. 500=3 scouts. You get it. but it seems like no one is selling things. I know times are tough, But I have had the tickets out since 20th of may. THey are $2 each. I sold $20 worth in conversation yesterday.

That is my rant and I am looking for something that I can put down on paper so when Billy only sells 5 tickets, his parents don't have a leg to stand on when they ask, "Why didn't you pay for Billy's Registration."

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmmm . . . rules and regulations. Always an interesting subject.

Since you brought it up, Scout units may not use raffles as a fund raiser. That's a standard BSA rule.

Even in a time of economic depression, people will cough up a couple bucks to help out Scouts. The problem is that most people don't know how to sell. I used to sell raffle tickets for my neighbor's baseball league (no, I didn't play but I could sell). Just knock on doors and ask. People would buy.

As for rules, put it on paper, have the CC sign it and then distribute it to every Scout. Pretty simple.

If you are looking for by-laws, how about following the By-Laws, Rules and Regulations of the BSA?

From BSA Unit Money Earning Application (which you should have filled out and submitted to your council for approval BEFORE starting this fundraiser) -

"Selling raffle tickets or other games of chance is a direct violation of the BSA Rules and Regulations, which forbid gambling. The product must not detract from the ideals and principles of the BSA."

For money-earning activities which follow BSA rules, you do not need Pack By-Laws. All you need is a flier with the info on it sent to every family in the Pack.

I may be reading it wrong or you may have left something out, BUT it appears to me that your answer is in your question. Assuming it is okay for you to use a raffle.

If none of the Scouts sells 50 tickets individually then you are off the hook for paying for any of their registrations.

If, however, they each sell one ticket and you finish selling all of the rest, 500- x, where x equals the number of Scouts, then you will need to draw and send those 3 Scouts to day camp even though they only sold one ticket. It may seem wrong but is a consequence of the rules you have given above.

For next year, maybe only those who have sold 50 tickets can earn a chance for the drawing for day camp?

And instead of announcing it write it down. :)

Hi,

Before you start making any bylaws, rules or the like.

I would strongly suggest that you along with the Pack Management committee meet with your Unit Commissioner if there is one? If not grab a hold of the District Commissioner, District Finance Chair or even the DE.

While you wait for someone to get back to you, you might want to visit the BSA web site.

Take a look at:

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34427.pdf

Rule 4 clearly states why the selling of tickets is not to be done by the Pack.

While you visit the site you could take a look at Planning Your "Ideal Year of Cub Scouting" Program Budget

http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/resources/packbudget.aspx

I'm sure that you would agree having a Pack bylaw which violates the rules of the BSA is not a very good idea and if someone found out that such a bylaw did chances are that it will only turn around and bite you on the tail.

You posted that you are a ACM?

If this is the case, your role is helping the CM provide the best pack meetings and Pack events possible leave the management of funds to the Pack Management Committee. -That's why they are there.

Eamonn.

Yes I posted as ACM. That is because I am also the COR, Com.Mem. The wolf Den Leader, and in a few months I will be the Cub Master.

We have a very small pack. 5 boys. We are trying to get things going, but all I hear parents complain about is the cost of this stuff.

On that note, they do not have a leg to stand on about the cost of stuff. I have had one parent who has activly helped find us money.

I am trying to help these boys with a quality program, but I have one parents who said that she pulled her son out because it cost too much. As for costing too much, the uniform that her son wears was bought by another parent. And the only other thing that she had to pay for other than registration was a $25 daycamp.

Sorry I heard about that the other day and that just got on my bad side

We are a small pack and we are trying. I come here to look for some advise.

The best advice we can give you is to encourage you to go to training, and to read and follow the publications of the BSA. If you follow the program as it is laid out, you will do fine.

As for the mom complainng about cost - is she low income? Perhaps $25 really is too much for her. When you recruited your Scouts did you have a parents meeting (as described in teh Cub Scout Leader Book), and explain how the program works, and what it would cost? If not, the $25 may have been a surprise to her.

Pack policies are important. Before each fundraiser, we publish a document that states what the fundraiser monies will be used for, how the proceeds will be divided between the pack and the Scouts, when the money is due, and what incentives are offered.

In order to encourage the parents to participate in the fundraiser, we publish an annual budget that shows how much it costs to run the pack, and what value their son gets for the money he raises. It makes a big difference when they can see what the money goes for. You can find a sample budget in the Cub Scout Leader Book, or on the National web site in the Cub Scout section, there is a downloadable, fill in the blanks version.

It is important to set reasonable expectations on the cost up front. But I also provide them a frame of reference when doing so. Even when considering the cost of a new uniform, a year in Cub Scouts (excluding overnighters) is less than either one and a half months of Taekwondo or a season of AYSO or Little League (which run for less than a quarter of the year.)

"It is important to set reasonable expectations on the cost up front. But I also provide them a frame of reference when doing so. Even when considering the cost of a new uniform, a year in Cub Scouts (excluding overnighters) is less than either one and a half months of Taekwondo or a season of AYSO or Little League (which run for less than a quarter of the year.) "

I use this argument all the time, because it's a great way for people to see how ridiculous they are at spending money. As parents (generally) we're more than happy to go down to the sporting goods store and buy that $75 mitt, $250 bat, or $85 cleat for little Johnny to be the biggest, baddest, best ball player in town, but when it comes time to cough up $$ for Scouting, 'wait just a minute, it costs money?'

I'd say you should provide clear cut rules of your fund raiser to your parents and the kids, as well as goals and expectations so they know what to expect. Like infoscouter said, if your parents understand why it's needed, where it's going, they are more likely to get behind it and support the fundraiser.

By the way, don't call it a raffle, it's an opportunity drawing.

KB - I like you spin on the name

But we are providing for the oppurtunity for someone to receive a nice 20' Flag pole set, with a stitched flag.

But I think that we will post a paper next time on what we plan on doing with the money. I am going to also be working on a putting together a general budget to show how our money is distributed and how it still costs less to be in scouts

Thanks for the help and keep the responses coming

We're ready to scrap our Troop bylaws. It's a 30+ page document that just duplicates and wordsmiths what already exists in other BSA publications.

The only thing I'm finding that really needs to be defined at the unit level is how to handle money from fundraising (the same goal you're trying to achieve), and the specifics of how the troop works with the chartering organization.

Everything not covered by BSA publications can be handled by applying the 12 points of the Scout Law...

Everything not covered by BSA publications can be handled by applying the 12 points of the Scout Law...

This works with trained leaders and with the boys usually, but unfortunately I've found that most Committee members and parents that are not necessarily trained as Scout Leaders need a written commandment to follow.

Our troop for example has a 96 page Policy and Procedures manual. Most of the information is a reprint of the Scoutmaster's Handbook, the Scout Handbook, the Patrol Leaders Handbook, the Senior Patrol Leaders Handbook, and some items from the Field Book to name a few. It also covers some college level information on health and nutrition and backpacking basics not covered in the Scout books. So why do we have this huge work? Most parents will never take the time to read any of the above resources, but for some reason they are willing to delve into a single document that has "all the answers" in plain text. If there's ever a question like "why do you do things that way" or "why isn't my son the Patrol Leader" or "why can't I sit in on my son's Board of Review" we just ask them to check out that section of the PPM to see how it's done.