We have a parent that currently is a committee member, but feels he doesn't do much. He wants a title. Problem is we're not sure how dependable he is or what position would be a good fit. We will need a new Tiger Leader, but feel he is a better follower than leader. Any suggestions? Here's the positions we have filled.

CC

COR

CM

Webelos 2 DL

Webelos 1 DL & ADL

Bear DL & ADL

Wolf Co-DL

Popcorn Chair

Does he like camping and other outdoor activities? How about the Outdoor Activities Chair? Send him to BALOO and that might motivate him to become more of a leader in the planning stages. That's where I started, after being just a Tiger Dad, and now I am the CM (and having FUN). BALOO training really pumped my up and got my created thoughts flowing. It is a good idea to have an Outdoors/Camping subcommittee to help plan things and to prevent him from getting overworked. It would be good to get more people in the Pack BALOO trained, as well.

He's a step-dad. So far he hasn't been able to camp due to wrong weekend. We was a boy scout (one step from Eagle) in his youth, so I'm pretty sure he likes to camp.

Last night he brought over coolers and Gatorade that his work donated.

Try Activities Chair (general pack activities not just camping)

Recruiter

Trainer (goes to 1 day trainer development conf then makes sure all leaders are trained and know how to register for training).

More importantly - what do they want to do??

Treasurer?

these are more contact w/ adults than kids. Any position needs someone who will follow through. Give them expectations and then follow up- they need to be at committee meetings and submit their report to show they are doing something or tell them- sorry it dodn't work out you cna help w/ other things!

I forgot to put Treasurer on list. That's my official title.

Is popcorn chair the same as popcorn kernel? We had trouble getting money from them for the popcorn they sold, so anything with money is a no in my opinion.

I didn't talk to him, but I assume he was wanted to know what positions were available. I don't think the CM answered that directly. Most of the time your title is just on paper. I'm officially Treasurer, but really am the ACM too.

Popcorn Kernal is same as popcorn chair (note humerous name) we shout "popcorn" whenever our Popcorn Kernal is introduced.

Other optional positions for someone you may feel so-so about:

Webmaster to maintain or develop a website

Communications Chair?? Have him do a monthly newsletter and send to pack or to hand out at meetings and do write ups for the newspaper.

Try him out in something less vital to the pack but a help and if he doesn't fulfill it go no further w/ responsiblity.

You can give anyone a title. They have to actually fill the shoes to be worthy of it no matter how small.

I've never been in their house, but they've been accused of being dirty. I don't see paperwork being his thing. He's a state worker. Hard worker, good guy, but not my pick for handling important stuff.

I may be wrong, but it sounds like you would rather he was not on the Committee at all.

If I am wrong, you can ask HIM what he is interested in and what his strengths / abilities are. You can also have him pick a Summer activity and be in charge it. This is a small way to start and see how well he does.

It is the responsibility of the CC to recruit leaders and to fill positions on the Committee. What does the CC want to do?

Most folks will perform to expectations. With that in mind set the bar high. Jobs that you do not have listed are Pack Trainer, Advancement coordinator, Tiger DL. If he wants to be a TDL and has a son of that age get him trained and turn him loose. A good Tiger Den Leader IMHO is one that is willing and able to facilitate each Tiger Partner sharing in presenting a Den meeting.

2 dads stepped up to be the coleaders at roundup. He called the day after and we told him who already volunteered, but we would appreciate his help. I think he approached the CC after that and she got him signed up as a committee member. I guess I assumed that meant there wasn't a specific job she felt comfortable giving him either.

It's not that I don't want him to help, I'm just not sure where his strengths are. I think you're right that we should give him small tasks first and see how he does.

We've been burnt a lot lately. You kind of get in the mind set if you want something done right you have to do it yourself. I know that will lead to burnout.

Have him fill out the parent talent survey.

If he already has take a look at it to see what he has put down.

Is he handy? Maybe can make things for the pack or repair pinewood track.

If he's a committee member he needs to come to meetings(if you don't have any ove the summer you'll have to wait until fall. Maybe plan participation in a parade.See if he can get the info and tell about it. that's easy.

Have him Take training. If he won't do any of those things then he's not committed to helping.

Even setting up before/after pack meetings or manning a recruiting booth are helps.

OK based on your description I am guessing this might be a fellow who likes to work with his hands? Ask him to help you with next year's pinewood derby (not necessarily organizing all of it - that's a big task - but maybe with helping do a pack "pit night" or something like that, or help with a pack conservation project like building bird houses or something along those lines.