My New Position!!!

Today I was named Committee Chairman of a Cub Scout Pack! I'm excited, but kinda nervous at the same time.

Most, heck all of my experience has been in Boy Scouts. I have served as Assistant Scoutmaster, Spaghetti Dinner Chairman, Membership Coordinator, New Scout Program Advisor, Communications Director, Scouting for Food Coordinator, PLC Advisor, and more. I earned my Eagle at the end of 2005.

But I have been looking for a new challenge and I think I found it.

This pack is small, 6 registered boys. The Cubmaster has served as Cubmaster, Committee Chairman, and Chartered Organization Rep and is ready to accept help. The boys are from low income latino families. I've been told by the Cubmaster and District Executive (who has been working with this pack) that they love participating in scouting.

But I'm nervous because there is a lot of work to do. The Committee is inactive. No help there! The pack has not really been active, no program to talk of. The only things they have done are things that the District Executive plans for the pack when he has time to do things. That's not often (he also has a wife and toddler at home).

Today my first action was getting them signed up for Day Camp, which the want to attend and was suppose to be arranged already. Thankfully it worked out! Mainly because the DE has been so active with this pack.

But, I need advice. Would everyone please post the one piece of advice they would give to anyone in my position. Please exclude the "take training" lines and "recruit new leaders". I know and understand the importance of both and have been working on it already!

Thanks,

Hotdesk

Find some fun activities to do in some of your local parks to get the boys excited about the outdoors. As they get excited, they might invite their friends to join in to grow the Pack.

Congratulations, Hotdesk! You've got a lot of work AND A LOT OF FUN ahead of you.

Delegate is an excellent suggestion - make sure your infrastructure grows along with the number of boys in the pack. Right now, with 6 boys, a small number of leaders can handle just about everything - but add a few more and you'll be playing "catch up".

Also, you & your Cubmaster should attend the monthly roundtable in your area - talk to leaders with successful packs & pick their brains. Roundtable is where you'll pick up the tricks of the trade.

Again, congratulations & have fun.

NC

Start small with the parents. Have one bring a snack- have them fill out the talent survey and then look at that. Ask one to lead an activity based on that. Getting them involved in little ways builds involvement.

Use other organizations as a source for leadership and activites Latino community group-Adults from CO- older sibs- You former Boy scout troop.

Contact Scoutreach for ideas.

Do Cub Scout Fast Start.

Take any training you are lacking.

Take BALOO.

Start looking at how you can recruit for this Pack come the fall.

Visit with the parents. Find out whether English or Spanish should be the common language for Committee, Pack, and Den meetings.

Develop a uniform closet. Hit the thrift shops.

Talk with your Chartered Partner. See if you can find some folk who are willing to help while you set stability for the long haul.

Remember, yours is not the direct contact position. Your responsibility is to develop a great support structure, and to help find Scouters.

Work WITH your Cubmaster and the other leaders. You are not the Big Boss. This should be a GROUP effort with all of the adults working together.

Things you should be working on now -

Creating a strong reltionship between the Pack and it CO, and getting the CO to register a new COR. You CM can not register in both positions.

Working with your CO, CM, and leaders to plan next year's calendar and program (this is NOT the DE's job).

Work with your DE to do Boy Talks in the schools and plan recruiting Round-Ups for the Pack.

Work with your CM and leaders to plan some Summer activities. This is especially important if you recruit any new families now.

Recruit a Pack Popcorn Kernal / Fundraiser Chair. Many councils are starting to gear up for their Product Sale.

Is the Pack affiliated with a Troop? Start working on cultivating good Troop/Pack relations. Work on getting some Den Chiefs.