Thank you for the Forums

I just wanted to say how thankful I am that this forum is here.

I have this in the Cub Scout side because I my interests and issues specifically deal with cub scouts, since I am a den leader and my son's a bear.

When I joined the Scouter forums, I was dealing with some issues going on in my pack. I had, what I thought, was a very unorganized cub master. She never knows what's going on with district or council activities far enough in advance for us to do anything. We're a small pack and a few of the den leaders have full time jobs on top of their voluntary commitment to the pack. I am a stay at home mom and was just looking at the things that weren't getting done.

As far as I know, I am the only other leader, besides the CM, that has gone through the formal leader specific training.

For my first post here in the newbie forum, i asked how to deal with an unorganized, uninvolved CM. After that post, I did some pokin' around here. I found a post where it looked as if someone else was dealing with the same issues.

I can't begin to tell you how much of an eye opener that post was. After reading it and all the suggestions given back to the original poster, I felt like such a heel. Since we're such a small pack that means we also have less parents able or willing to give some of their time. So that means that us leaders really have to step up to the plate. We don't have good clear communication between parents/ families and us leaders. We don't have an ASCM and most of us DL's don't have ASDL's. We definitely don't have a pack trainer, events coordinator... you get the point.

I had seriously began debating with myself how best to approach the CM and ask her to step down. Like I said, I felt like such a heel after I read this thread. I started helping the CM out a lot more. I created a yahoo group for our pack to help keep the pack leaders and parents stay informed. I told them that I would keep the calendar updated throughout the summer in case there was something they might be interested. I have pretty much taken over the planning of our pack campouts. I keep the pack informed of more district activites.

I have no problem wearing multiple hats, as long as the boys benefit from it.

Anyway...

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone, for being there even when you didn't know it@!!

ScoutersMom,

I second that opinion. I have learned a LOT in many different areas by reading this forum. Many thanks to the many posters. Barely a month left before I jump into the CM role, after being just a Tiger Dad last year at this time.

Scouters can sometime go unthanked (that's not what they are there for), but it does feel good when you receive appreciation. I APPRECIATE all of you.

Actually, we appreciate you guys.

The new, and old, leaders who take the extra time and effort to join a forum like this one. Who ask questions, learn as much as they can from many different sources, and try to do things the right way to give their Scouts the best possible program they can.

Keep on learning and Happy Scouting!

I agree it's a great resource! Thanks for all the responses. It helps knowing other people are in the same boat.

It's also a great place to vent and cool down before blowing your stack at parents or other leaders and committe members.

Hey, good on you for recognizing there was a problem, seeing what you could do about it, and doing it! And, obviously, doing it without ruffling feathers, a second feat all by itself.

Way too many people out there who like to armchair quarterback...

Vicki

Thank you for stepping up and rolling up your sleeves.

I think every regular here will promise you the work is fun and rewarding. We all have choices, and if something isn't rewarding to us, we can walk away from this.

Enjoy the journey; watch him grow and develop; know how to back away as he does (LisaBob and gwd are great examples of that), and hopefully we've hooked you for a lifetime.

We really do love this Scouting stuff, to paraphrase Barry...(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

I've very glad that you stepped up and are helping out on what needs to be done. People like you are what makes Scouts Go! Just remember, full time job doesn't equal free ride. People make time for what they believe in and enjoy doing. I'll bet many of those full time dads somehow find time for that Sunday football game or beer & poker with the boys. We have a pack of nearly 150 boys here and our Committee Chair, Cubmaster, four Assistant Cubmasters and our Activities Chair all have full time jobs. Several of us amounting to about 50+ hours a week.

Sorry, you just hit a sore spot...it just really burns me when I hear "I can't, I have a full time job." I guess the rest of us are just independently wealthy ;)

Anyway...sorry to dampen any spirits, I'm very glad that your doing what your doing!

I'm also glad I found a group as involved and concerned about scouting as I am. Or should I say "obsessed"? But in a good way. I'm learning all kinds of cool stuff for recruitng and other areas too.

Thanks to everyone!!!