Webelo II Crossover Question

Hello, In our Pack we have a Webelo II boy who is soooo close to crossing over, but has lost interest. He is 1 pin, one boy scout outing and one boy scout meeting short of achieving rank. Is there anything that our Cubmaster and I can do do help him finish these things up?

For a Webelos, unlike a Wolf or Bear, the Scout does not work at home on his requirements. He should be doing most of them, in the den, with all of them being approved by the den leader.

The den leader can schedule another outing with a Troop and another visit to a Troop meeting. It will not hurt the other Webelos to do more activities with different Troops.

What activity pin is he missing? Is there another one that he can do that none of the other boys have done yet? If so the den leader can work on that pin with the den.

Perhaps the bigger question here is why is he loosing interest? Is he bored? Are the Webelos den meetings not keeping his interest? Does he plan to join a Boy Scout Troop, or is he going to quit after Cub Scouts?

If he is going to be joining a Troop, he can do so at the end of 5th grade, without ever earning AOL.

You might ask the parents what they think -- there may be good reason why this particular Webelos doesn't want to continue, and anything I offered in that regard would be speculation.

I wish all our boys had leaders as interested in them as you seem to be -- good luck.

Tell him he's needed to head up the plan for the big final outing of the den. The activity will be of his choice and he'll be the one deciding on all the fun stuff they will need to work into the activity. Without his help they might not be able to pull it off as well.

Stosh

Here is an idea: Invite a scoutmaster from a troop to come and talk to your webelos, encouraging them to get their AOW, and come on up to the troop. (If you don't have a regular relationship with a troop, ask two guys, just to make it fair). Privately ask the scoutmaster to greet the boy at some informal time in the meeting, and say, "I hope to welcome you into our troop", something like that.

If the scoutmaster brings his SPL, even better if they do this together.

It might touch a spark in the kid.