Parents drinking before meetings

Asking one of the other parents to intercede may backfire in a big way, depending on the severity of this situation. First off, you're telling another (brand new) member of your pack that you want him to run interference on a touchy personal kind of issue? I know as a new parent my response would have been, are you nuts? I'm out of here.

Second, depending on what the details are, you may be engaged in spreading rumors about this guy (however well intentioned) if you start telling other parents who are not in a position to really do anything serious about this anyway.

Third, think how this guy may respond to "random parent #3" approaching him and saying hey, the DL over there wants me to tell you to quit drinking before den meetings. Probably not a positive response.

If it were me (and actually I had to deal with this in our den too) and I needed outside assistance, the three people I would want involved are the Cubmaster, the Committee Chair, and the Charter Organization Representative. Nobody else, unless things escalate.

Here is my 2 cents for what it is worth. I would NEVER let the kids leave with this person if I feel they are drunk. Parent or not. I would call for law enforcement. Think how guilty and bad you would feel if something happens to that child when they left that evening. I know I would have a hard time living with myself knowing that I could have tried to stop it. I know it is sad and that child is one that is probably in the most need of scouts however is safety should be the #1 concern!!! JMO

Lisa,

May we agree to disagree slightly on this one? In our own Districts, we both know Scouters who are LE professionals. I truly believe they should be part of the friendly talk (same level player as CM/CC and before the COR has to be involved). Hopefully they can get the Dad's undivided attention. If the issue is alcohol breath but not drinking (as we've read there are medical possibilities), then they also have the good skill of gracefully sliding away.

Does that make sense?

YIS John

I really appreciate everyone's responses and the thought you've obviously put into this. It's given me some very helpful guidance, and I have about two weeks before our next meeting to come up with a plan. In fact, I'll be seeing this family before then at their son's birthday party, and I may even try to discreetly have a little talk then. Thanks everyone for your advice and opinions.

I like Dizzy ona cliff's idea -

Tiger Cub Elective #49 - Visit a government office such as the mayor's office, the state capitol building, or a courthouse

Visit the local police station or have a police officer come to your meeting to talk about the DARE program, driving safety, safety belts, drinking and driving and the effects of alcohol, and maybe how one shouldn't get in a car with someone they know has been drinking alcohol?

Perhaps as you get to know the boy and his family (at the Bday party/next meeting) you'll have a more clear understanding of what's going on and will be clearer on how to address the situation. Letting your CM and CC know can't hurt either. Maybe they have some suggestions.